Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Descending to AR15.com status

Folks, the mods are working on the issue regarding "About Me" bios. We were not aware of it because "it worked for us." We will let you know when it is fixed.
    #RESIST

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    Something that is difficult to see is what the skill level of the person you are talking to is. If a guy has FAST Challenge Coin, he might not be a SME, but we all might want to listen to his advice on how to hang onto and press the trigger of a gun. Maybe recognize via some little hashtag or some crap that a dude is on the Wall of Fame or some equivalent? A star that says "Doesn't suck with a gun"? If someone is internet famous for talking about guns but can't shoot well, it would be nice to know.
    It was suggested to me to be more clear about this point. I'll just say this: If your FAST time is >10 sec then maybe you shouldn't posting about and making people think you know something about shooting techniques.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I wouldn't know if you were the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, from reading your bio or not. Because this is what your bio looks like to me
    We're working to fix it. There's an issue and it's not as simple as clicking the "Fix User Profile Visibility".

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    regardless of wearing an S.M.E. or not.
    ...which was a mistake, because we did actually identify why we make people SMEs. It's right there in our code of conduct.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'm just a stupid civilian who apparently is a cop hater because bullshit happens and I refuse to ignore it.
    I don't think it's as complicated as you're saying. In a world where violent, felonious rioting is the default response to an OIS before the facts are in - where the world takes the word of a rap-sheet Rambo before a clean-record cop before any investigation results or even basic facts are in hand - well, in that world I can imagine cops might overcompensate a little bit. When they're already a bit defensive because they've been kicked so many times, and someone like you or me responds to that by being (or in the faceless way of the internet, being perceived as) an asskitten, (that's for you, Tom_Jones,) then there's no hope of a valuable information exchange.

Cut them some slack, explain that you understand you're not an expert, that you're hoping they can reduce your ignorance a little, and give them a couple of chances to get it right. It's what works.......

....... but unfortunately it's not what's done. Say an experienced, knowledgeable, high level cop - who also happens to be a Gun Trekkie - is having a rough day. I don't know, let's say he just got to his crappy hotel room after a day that included a burial for a fellow officer, consoling the family, and running or assisting with the manhunt for his killer. You know, a rough day. He signs on here to talk guns for a bit, settle his nerves a bit and see if he can get some sleep before 6am roll call. I have no idea if this is how it works, but the details don't need to be right to show that the last thing this guy needs is to come on his favorite gun nerd forum and see five threads about how cops are wrong for shooting a pet. Yeah, we should be able to discuss that, but when the post is "I can't believe those cock bags, who's with me!" instead of "man, that sucks, anybody here care to share insight on if and when shooting pets is the right thing to do?"... Well, I can't be surprised when the stressed-out cop loses his shit or violates decorum or rage-quits or all of the above.

So, yeah, I don't think you're wrong, but I do think you and I and all the rest of us need to put in the effort to squeeze good knowledge out of the often bruised and battered skulls of the folks who've earned that knowledge with blood and nightmares. The only thing we offer in return is an environment where they are welcome and comfortable and where they can contribute their knowledge and discuss the nuances in peace.

And not all knowledge is born of blood and nightmares, but the folks who earned a high level of knowledge and skill through nothing but passion for the subject matter aren't usually the targets of posts that present ignorance as gospel.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    We're working to fix it. There's an issue and it's not as simple as clicking the "Fix User Profile Visibility".
    Yes it is.

delete from users
    delete from posts

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    ...which was a mistake, because we did actually identify why we make people SMEs. It's right there in our code of conduct.
    Look as much as I want to argue about this, I think it is a losing proposition and I am not going to get heard. Clearly, I am in the wrong.

I'm just going to go punch a wall or work on my hand strength, so maybe someday when I have a gun-shaped object again, I will only suck and not suck horribly.

Site Supporter
    I don't have access to the SQL DB.

"DELETE * FROM *" is my hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    If you can supply some examples, I'd appreciate it - PM is fine.

This thread doesn't exist to just let you all vent, if we're going to tackle problems, seeing the proof is a big help.
    JV- not sure I could even dig anything up, it's more of a subtle thing- just a feeling that "Damn, I'd get banned for that." Probably comes from there being a core group here that actually knows each other in real life so you can read each others intentions better. And that's fine.
    I only mentioned it to point out that I can see where someone would get that idea.
    Carry on :-)

When the forum started it was mostly people posting under their real name and you were usually "2nd cousins" at a minimum. If you werent actual friends you were at least classmates or a classmate of a classmate. The fact that there was a really good chance that paths would cross and you would be face to face someday was pretty good derp repellent.
    The forum has grown beyond that and it'll just have to adapt.
    Requiring some version of your real name as your username (PERSEC respected where justified) might be a good start.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List