Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Encumbrance of Concealed Carry

I'd agree that some "experts" opinions may be a bit overstated at times.

I work in, indeed am a "white collar environment" (physician), while being armed on a daily basis, all day, for nearly thirty years, demonstrably with no one the wiser (per selective discussion).

Dress isn't the only thing important to effective concealment in CCW, but also carriage and demeanor.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Another thing I disagree with is the whole concept of "social benefit" of concealed carry or being armed in public. It's my personal right to arm myself to defend myself and mine. I don't do it to keep society safe or even to benefit society. It's an individual thing.
    I believe that is the mindset of most who carry. While I agree it's an individual right to do so, IMO it's irresponsible not to consider the bigger picture. There is an undeniable benefit to public safety of well trained people of good character carrying concealed, and doing so in a way that the predators can't tell who they are. Unless we start thinking that way the "hurray for me, screw everybody else" thinking will only serve to alienate us from the other 95+% who don't carry but could well vote for its prohibition if they see no benefit to it.

Just my own opinion, of course....

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I don't mean this to come across as harsh or dismissive, but you move from New York to New Hampshire, start carrying sometimes (by your own admission not every day) and then show up and write authoritative, declarative treatises telling me how I should be doing something I've been doing pretty much every day for nigh on twenty years, more or less completely uneventfully.

Do you not see how that might get up some people's noses?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    While I agree it's an individual right to do so, IMO it's irresponsible not to consider the bigger picture.
    The bigger picture according to whom?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    There is an undeniable benefit to public safety of well trained people of good character carrying concealed, and doing so in a way that the predators can't tell who they are. Unless we start thinking that way the "hurray for me, screw everybody else" thinking will only serve to alienate us from the other 95+% who don't carry but could well vote for its prohibition if they see no benefit to it
    You are seriously self-deluded if you think that "public safety" is a selling point in favor of us. Trying to use that as a bolster for concealed carry will either get you laughed at or considered a wannabe cop by most people. Seriously, go ask some of your friends who don't carry what they think about your assumptions.

I wish you would get this straight once and for all: the right to keep and bear arms is not about public safety or some imaginary civic duty. The right to keep and bear arms is ONLY for the purpose of defending oneself from, most commonly violent crime, and ultimately from tyranny.

If you want to provide for the public's safety, join the police or fire service.

And +1 to what Tamara said.

You are seriously self-deluded if you think that "public safety" is a selling point in favor of us. Trying to use that as a bolster for concealed carry will either get you laughed at or considered a wannabe cop by most people. Seriously, go ask some of your friends who don't carry what they think about your assumptions.

I wish you would get this straight once and for all: the right to keep and bear arms is not about public safety or some imaginary civic duty. The right to keep and bear arms is ONLY for the purpose of defending oneself from, most commonly violent crime, and ultimately from tyranny.

If you want to provide for the public's safety, join the police or fire service.
    Well said; 100% spot-on.

This statement demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of the historic role of the armed citizen. Not to mention a generally asshole-ish, unwarranted tone.

Let's discuss the topic and hand and dispense with the personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    This statement demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of the historic role of the armed citizen.
    Well then, show us historical evidence that proves that average citizens went about armed to police society rather than to give themselves an edge when it came time to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    generally asshole-ish
    That would be me

I disagree with his alarmist article. He passes off personal opinion as fact with nothing to back it up, other than a video about an incident that had nothing to do with concealed carry and all to do about a trigger-happy ex-cop.
    I don't think he's really meaning to come cross as alarmist, though I have serious doubts that his example of a woman who happens to be acutely attuned to the differences between real designer purses vs. phony look-alike purses would therefore be a highly perspicacious, observant individual in all other spheres, and who would therefore necessarily notice subtle cues of CCW practitioners' mode of dress, and interpret them as evidence of CCW.

Furthermore it's been my experience that most people aren't even attuned to the concept of other people going covertly armed. The idea is wholly outside any of their day-to-day frames of reference.

I've been in numerous, numerous, "white collar" professional environments (retail, health care, upscale dining, etc) while armed and I know for a fact no one even got a clue about it, men or women. I pay close attention to people's facial expressions and body language and it is easy to tell when someone even suspects that a firearm may be about.

Another thing I disagree with is the whole concept of "social benefit" of concealed carry or being armed in public. It's my personal right to arm myself to defend myself and mine. I don't do it to keep society safe or even to benefit society. It's an individual thing.
    Exactly.

To imagine, or to pretend to oneself that those of us who practice CCW for any reason other than protection of self and loved ones is fantasy, arguments about supposed "sheepdog" duty of CCW holders to the contrary.

I do agree with NH Shooter about sidearm carry by those us non-LEOs being properly a concealed matter; I don't want anybody, good or bad, interested or disinterested, to have the slightest idea that I'm armed unless it should become necessary to put my hand on the gun.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Furthermore it's been my experience that most people aren't even attuned to the concept of other people going covertly armed. The idea is wholly outside any of their day-to-day frames of reference.
    That has been my experience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I do agree with NH Shooter about sidearm carry by those us non-LEOs being properly a concealed matter; I don't want anybody, good or bad, interested or disinterested, to have the slightest idea that I'm armed unless it should become necessary to put my hand on the gun.
    That's the only thing I agree with him on

User Tag List