Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Encumbrance of Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I don't really care to be festooned with gadgetry either, but I like the idea of the pocket clip folder as a utility blade and as a secondary edged weapon and a small fixed blade on the beltline.
    Yeah, I'm much more likely to cut open non-people items during my daily activities.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

I've started a different thread on the clip-knife topic.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    See the image of the genius OC'ing an EBR on his back with a baby in a front carrier? Or the OC guy with a handgun in a Serpa in cross draw position. You gotta have balls to do that - for awhile, anyway.

Wonder if they have clip knives?
    I read Glenn's comment to mean that as nervous as the OP is regarding concealed carry, and his need to make sure that the gun stays secure, the goofballs who openly carry a rifle behind their back while holding their child should really be nervous. I didn't think his joke about clip knives was meant to equate the two -- but I might be wrong.

(It sounded to me from earlier posts that Glenn carries a clip knife? Or maybe two? )

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I read Glenn's comment to mean that as nervous as the OP is regarding concealed carry, and his need to make sure that the gun stays secure, the goofballs who openly carry a rifle behind their back while holding their child should really be nervous. I didn't think his joke about clip knives was meant to equate the two -- but I might be wrong.

(It sounded to me from earlier posts that Glenn carries a clip knife? Or maybe two? )
    Yaar, I had thought that Glenn was the one bashing on clip knives, and just realized he wasn't. Apologies to Glenn and all if my response came across too aggressive - I tried not to make it that way but I certainly did write it under a mistaken impression.

And fwiw, rifle baby man does not seem to have a clip in his visible pocket. Concealment powers, activate.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

gaah. fail.
    Last edited by Terence; 09-18-2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: because idiot= me

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've had to pull out the handgun before, a long time ago, but the knife and flashlight? Those get used all the time. The tiny LED flashlight has been one of the most useful inventions of the last decade for me; I'd love to go back in time and find the me that was stumbling around a campsite with a flickering 2 "C"-cell Everready about half as bright as a dead firefly and say "Hey, kid, in the future, you're going to carry a flashlight a jillion times brighter than that in your pocket everywhere you go. It's going to be the size of your pinkie and run for hours on a single AAA battery."
    My EDC flashlight shat the bed and Im in the market for a new one. Which light are you referring to here? The pinkie size and AAA battery sound ideal.
    Last edited by Terence; 09-18-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    My EDC flashlight shat the bed and Im in the market for a new one. Which light are you referring to here? The pinkie size and AAA battery sound ideal.
    Heh. I have a jillion flashlights and pocketknives, but I carry a little LED Lenser P3 AFS* and a waved Spyderco Delica because they're both right at the sweet spot, size-wise, of being able to be clipped to a jeans pocket without precluding being able to put something else in that pocket.

*I like it so much that when I lost my first one by dropping it in an airplane, I ordered two replacements. One's in the pocket of my jeans and the other's still in the box in the kitchen cupboard in case I lose this one, too.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Heh. I have a jillion flashlights and pocketknives, but I carry a little LED Lenser P3 AFS* and a waved Spyderco Delica because they're both right at the sweet spot, size-wise, of being able to be clipped to a jeans pocket without precluding being able to put something else in that pocket.

*I like it so much that when I lost my first one by dropping it in an airplane, I ordered two replacements. One's in the pocket of my jeans and the other's still in the box in the kitchen cupboard in case I lose this one, too.
    I do the same thing, just sub a TerraLux out for the LedLenser.

Thanks. You are generous with your advice, and I appreciate it.

Site Supporter
    Ha, ha - I was joking, no harm done. I do carry two clip knives. I got this from a couple of knife classes that emphasized the knife as a tool for escaping from various grabs and holds as compared to being a two handed whirling blade dervish. If that is crazy - I guess so. The idea was that grabbed on either side or one arm disabled, you had an easy option for the other blade. Two Delicas, BTW.

I have little respect for the OC guys who have polluted the TX carry environment with their EBR antics. Off to a vehicle fighting class, this weekend. Maybe I will try to stab the car?

PS - about both hands. After breaking my dominant hand in a fall, I appreciate having tools on each side. Esp. if they have low impact on carry. I took a couple of gun classes that I was signed up for already with my dominant hand and wrist in a cast, so that gave me a feel for that problem.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 09-18-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added thought

User Tag List