Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission and Mindset for the Armed Citizen

Mission and Mindset for the Armed Citizen

Having the urge to get your firearms training from a real-deal “face-shooter” (the cool term du jour) has a lot of appeal. And admittedly, once the firearms come into play, there’s not much nuance between what an LEO, soldier, or civilian might need in the way of skills in order to prevail.

All trainers teach marksmanship and gun handling. Many tout “mindset” as the most important aspect of the “combat triad” - but not necessarily in a manner applicable to the armed citizen. Examples of mindset include demonstrating a scan and assess after a string of fire, tactical reloads and proper ammunition management, and a generally aggressive attitude. “Winning the fight” is considered proper mindset – and it is, once the fight is on.

The best possible option for the armed citizen is to avoid the fight altogether. The next best is to extricate oneself safely once a confrontation is initiated.

What is the “mission” of the Average Joe?

• Defense of family
    • Defense of self
    • Defense of an innocent third-party
    • Defense of property
    • Exercise of a Constitutional Right

Likely scenarios the armed citizen might see:

• Carjacking
    • Mugging
    • Assault
    • Dog attack
    • Active shooter (possible offensive mission requirement)
    • Home invasion
    • Vandalism/Arson
    • Property theft
    • Looting/Rioting

The goal in nearly every scenario that an armed citizen may encounter is to retreat safely - if possible. With very few exceptions, it IS NOT the goal of the armed citizen to “run towards the sound of gun fire”. The armed citizen does not have backup, does not wear armor, is generally not armed with a long gun, and is not in constant communications with a higher authority for guidance and/or help.

The armed citizen has an obligation to avoid physical confrontation. We’ve heard it before, but it bears repeating: a handgun is not a magic talisman, and being armed and trained does not prevent bad things from happening to you. It is your awareness of your surroundings, your ability to “read” people, and yes, a healthy paranoia.

Simply taking “combatives” training (hand-to-hand, bladework, disarms) in addition to more traditional firearms training is a step in the right direction for the armed citizen, but it is not enough. There are very experienced trainers who offer coursework involving deselection, de-escalation, and disengagement.

This idea of leading a “stealth existence” can be a bit much for a single 25 year old male to wrap his head around. It seems like a boring, burdensome lifestyle – it can be. However, the 38 year old married father of two with a nice house and a good job has a much easier time understanding how critical this is.

There was a time when I was convinced of the utility of carrying OC spray in addition to the other gear we load ourselves down with. For whatever reason, I allowed myself to be convinced that OC was unnecessary, but I will state now that I think OC spray is a vital option for the armed citizen, especially for dealing with two very real threats: dogs and drunks. A small, multifunction strobing light, along with a firearm and a reload, a cell phone, a folding utility knife and possibly a small fixed blade makes for a well-rounded loadout for the armed citizen.

Check your six periodically… yes, really. Get your nose out of the smart phone. Maintain your situational awareness. Know where the exits are. Put your back to a wall if you can. Lock your car doors as soon as you’re in the vehicle. Avoid drinking alcohol to the point of drunkenness.

If you see trouble headed your way, put yourself somewhere else if you can.

• Avoid Stupid Places
    • Avoid Stupid People
    • Avoid Stupid Things

The above is not "The Law as Told By Jay"; it is simply an expression of some opinions that I've formed through my training and experience with several very good instructors. Please feel free to discuss and disagree!
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 03-02-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Great article.

deselection, de-escalation, and disengagement.
    What do these mean (specifically deselection), and who offers coursework?

Thanks, hope you've got more .
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. View Post
    Great article.

Deselection means convincing the bad guy to choose a different victim. If all he wants is some cash to score some dope, is he going to attack the guy with his head up and eyes moving who verbally challenges him 15 feet away? Probably not, he'll wait for the guy busy texting who doesn't even see him until there's a knife in his face.

Southnarc's "managing unknown contacts" block is the premier coursework on this, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. View Post
    Great article.

John Farnam spends a good deal of time on deselection, de-escalaltion and disengagement. In fact, during first morning of his handgun class, you practice those things, especially disengagement. He has one or two students or AIs corner you, interfere with you intended path etc, and you need to get out of that. I actually think it may be more valuable than shooting portion of his class.

Deselection is a complex concept that consists of range of behaviors making you less likely to be chosen as a target. One part of it is avoidance of high-risk places. Another part is avoidance of behaviors that attract attention of criminals - such as flashing your Rolex or money clip etc. Yet another part is projection of power in case criminal attention falls on you randomly - confident posture and speech, situational awareness etc. come in mind here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    • Avoid Stupid Places
    • Avoid Stupid People
    • Avoid Stupid Things

~ Jay Cunningham
    Excellent advice. This part is another the 25yo male often has trouble with.

Jar, YVK,

Thanks for the responses, makes sense now.
    --
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

Lots of good stuff Jay. Thanks for posting.

Lot's of great explanations for some of the stuff I posted. I stole the Avoid Stupid Places, Avoid Stupid People, Avoid Stupid Things mantra as a composite of things I'd read (and heard) from Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Col. Cooper, Pat Goodale, and David Pennington. I have SouthNarc scheduled for a class I'm hosting in just over a month, so I'll get his insight at that time - unless he posts here before that!

Interesting Correia-llary

The discussion triggered a memory of a post put up by Larry Correia (a famous James Gandolfini look-alike) a while ago. It was an enjoyable read.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...geeks-anymore/

Jay, several good points made.

Being aware of your surroundings (situational awareness) is also important for the armed citizen. Many suspects look for easy victims. If you are aware of their presence before they make contact, they may look for an easier target. IF they don't at least you may have more time to react. More time equals the potential of more options.

For a LEO, especially on who's career involves intercity patrol, this situational awareness becomes second nature, to the point it's kinda hard to "turn off" when it may not be really that necessary (visiting Disney Land with the family for example).

I might add to what Jay has already stated that there is much more to defending oneself as an Armed Citizen than merely owning and carrying a gun. The gun is a tool, you are the weapon. The trick is knowing when to engage, and when not to engage.

User Tag List