Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stippling

If you ever shot Bullseye when the temps and humidity are both in the 90s (hello, Camp Perry), you understand the value of stippling.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    I have stippled a few guns, then found what I think is a better alternative and started using Marine-Tex. Much less time intensive.

http://masterclasschronicles.blogspo...ipple.html?m=1
    What kind of coating are you using over the Marine-Tex? Epoxy paint?

I don't put anything over the marine-tex. It dries to that dark grey color.

Stippling is a must. Check out Kyle DeFoor's recent blog posts on a minimalist approach to stippling a Gen4 G19.

Okie John

It's important to note that not all stippling will provide an appropriate improvement in grip on the gun.

With my Glock I went with a fine stipple pattern. It's not bad and does provide a better grip on the gun, but it's not perfect. At a recent indoor class, it was extremely humid and my hand were sweating enough to cause issues, even with the stippling. I'm going to redo it.

I made some improvements with a more coarse pattern on a Sig Clone I had:

With my Beretta I went even more coarse and it works very well. So well that I had to sand down some portions that contact the web of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Taadski, that is class A stippling.
    Ha!

Thanks G.

Does the epoxy add much noticeable thickness? Looking at some of your pics (especially the 22) it would appear so, especially given how much texture there appears to be, but it's hard to tell in 2D.

Good stuff!

t

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    That is my issue as well YVK. I also find it hard to stomach the wear on my JM holster as I found it as an amazing piece of gear and don't want it ruined. I have already done a grip on my AKm and a few pinky finger extensions on the compact mags. I am slowly working up the courage to take the plunge. For those of you who do the back strap, do you find it grabs onto your cover garment?
    I usually leave the areas of factory Gen4 checkering intact, and stipple all the smooth areas of the grip. I do sand down the lower outboard (right) heel of the grip just a little. This is really just to keep from chewing up the inside of Under Armor and Dri-fit type polos that I wear in the summertime.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Ha!

Thanks G.

Does the epoxy add much noticeable thickness? Looking at some of your pics (especially the 22) it would appear so, especially given how much texture there appears to be, but it's hard to tell in 2D.

Good stuff!

t

It depends on how thick you put it on. That picture of the Glock 22 is heaviest I have done and I honestly didn't notice any extra thickness, but I am sure if you put a set of calipers on it, it would be. I eventually sanded that one back down to the polymer and retextured it. Looked and performed better the second time, but I don't have any pictures of it.

You really don't have to put it on that heavy to get good texture. It does take some practice to figure out the process, so if you try it, buy a cheap AR-15 grip or something and practice first.

Good copy. That makes sense. I may have to find some polymer to dabble with. Thanks for the info and link.

t

Site Supporter
    I like the stippling on this G17 chopped for 19 mags by ColdBore Customs.

Name:  IMG_20140914_170744.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  55.3 KB

User Tag List