Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Backup/NPE Gun Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    Thanks for the data, LSP972.

Is it possible that the distribution of weight is the key here, though? In the snubby, the cylinder would have the most mass while the G26 would have its weight distributed along the length of the slide. Might account for differences in "felt" weight.
    Could be, depending on the size/shape of a given pocket, whether or not the wearer has thunder thighs, etc.

I have carried one in a front pocket for so long now, I feel wrong if it isn't in there. I had a PM9 at one time, and it carried just as nicely. I decided to stay with the revolver, however, as the odds of having to make a contact shot with my pocket gun are quite good... and self-loaders don't fare well in that venue.

The real key to comfortable, usable pocket carry is the holster. You can perhaps get away with using an Uncle Mike's sausage sack, but a properly constructed leather example is SO much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I tried to tell her that a very famous firearms trainer really likes fanny packs...
    Better get off your arse and buy that gal what she wants. Such opportunity doesn't knock often.

As for that very famous firearms trainer re fanny packs... that's just his Inner Kalifornian coming out. One would think Brother Dobbs had fixed that by now...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Better get off your arse and buy that gal what she wants. Such opportunity doesn't knock often.

As for that very famous firearms trainer re fanny packs... that's just his Inner Kalifornian coming out. One would think Brother Dobbs had fixed that by now...

I have been encouraged by not only Chuck Haggard, who also wears a bag filled with things we like, and Matthew McConaughey. Do I even need to bring up Hulk Hogan.........haters gonna hate, but they are coming back.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They made a similar gun - A 642 with a 2.5" barrel and pinned front sight. Pic stolen from the internets. I've never seen one in person, but I've always wanted one, seems like about the perfect J-Frame. Edit: I guess you meant a Scandium gun not an airweight, sorry.

If the 2 1/2" guns are rare, check with Brownells and see if they have the barrels. Their paper catalog has been much easier for me to find things than their web site. calling Smith may be worthwhile also.

As top the revolver vs auto in the pocket, I think one factor in the revolvers favor is the gun is tapered towards the front end, not chunky, square and blocky. The revolver also is thinner in diagonal. People compare them height and length, but put them side by side and theres a bit blocky part of the auto sticking up above where the hammer would be on a revolver.

I'd like to try a good pocket holster, I've been carrying just in the pocket with a speed loader. I have to fix the spots the front sight wears in the pocket every now and then. Been thinking of having the pocket lined in canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    .......haters gonna hate, but they are coming back.
    Good to know. I will gladly refrain from being trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Good to know. I will gladly refrain from being trendy.

If you change your mind, I have several brand new black "old" Eagle fanny packs ready to go for a couple decades of being in. I'll be easy to spot at the senior home.....walker with the tennis balls painted like skulls, Spartan Lambda on the oxygen tank, crocs, ugly shorts, and a black fanny pack with a real gun inside......probably back to a 1911.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

What's wrong with fanny packs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    What's wrong with fanny packs?
    Nothing! I use a green Eagle Industries LE style fanny pack with Glock 19 and spare mag when in shorts, taking out the garbage, on the beach, in the boat ,or anytime I want a real gun but I'm not dressed for it. No one has ever said a thing.
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-16-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Nothing! I use a green Eagle Industries LE style fanny pack with Glock 19 and spare mag when in shorts, taking out the garbage, on the beach, in the boat ,or anytime I want a real gun but I'm not dressed for it. No one has ever said a thing.
    YOU TOO????? Say it ain't so!!!!

Dunno, I just find it… better… to go with IWB under a loose, square-cut-bottom button-up shirt.

Coming out thread?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List