Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup/NPE Gun Conundrum

Getting a master shooting grip in the draw is something that a lot of folks don't appreciate as being an advantage of the snub vs many small semi-autos pistols, but in my experience it's kind of a big deal.

Nyeti needs to write a fanny pack article.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Nyeti needs to write the most epic cop book of modern history. I'll pre-order a copy for each member of my shift now.

EDIT: Chuck, Chuck needs to write a book too. As a young-ish patrol cop I really soak up all the advice these gents give.

I agree though, while the fanny pack isn't the coolest thing ever it's pretty useful. I've got a streamline running style "pouch" that could be used for gels, cell phone, keys, etc. that should hold a j-frame easily. I prefer the smaller size because I can't stand a large pack constantly flopping around when I run.
    Last edited by MD7305; 09-14-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Add Chuck to the needs to write a book list.

OK, I'm apparently not one of the cool kids and missed the ninja acronym memo...

What is "NPE"??

Edmo

Quote Originally Posted by Edmo View Post
    OK, I'm apparently not one of the cool kids and missed the ninja acronym memo...

What is "NPE"??

Edmo
    Non Permissive Environment (for carrying a firearm).
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

The context of these conversations is also important in my mind...

I think one of the most overlooked factors in many of these discussions is: what are the consequences for being "made" as a individual carrying a firearm... and being reported/confronted by law enforcement? (This can be very different as an off-duty law enforcement officer vs a non-law enforcement officer.)

Claude Werner's advice has been really valuable to me... I personally CAN'T ALWAYS CHOOSE HOW I DRESS!!! I can't always "dress around the gun", or wear a fanny pack due to dress codes and career choices. There are also places I can legally carry, but it would be a life altering situation if I was "made."
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-15-2014 at 01:17 AM.

I've been messing with a 9mm Shield as an off-duty gun for shorts/t-shirt carry here in Texas. It's a little large for a pocket carry but it's working really well for me as an IWB carry gun. I carry it AIWB in a home made kydex rig and it's more concealable and comfortable than the G26 it replaced. I thing some of the comfort issue it has to do with the G26's poor "balance"...most of the 26s weight is on the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I thing some of the comfort issue it has to do with the G26's poor "balance"...most of the 26s weight is on the handle.
    While the balance issue is more pronounced for compact autos with double stack magazines, for me, with the exception of mouse guns, autos are "butt heavy" for front pocket carry which is why my preference is for revolvers that have the weight where it helps keep the gun both in the pocket and the grip up where it is easier for me to grab.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    While the balance issue is more pronounced for compact autos with double stack magazines, for me, with the exception of mouse guns, autos are "butt heavy" for front pocket carry which is why my preference is for revolvers that have the weight where it helps keep the gun both in the pocket and the grip up where it is easier for me to grab.
    ^This^ is why I have always thought a Centennial style snub with all of the uber lightweight parts but the barrel off of a 640 would be just about perfect. Light to carry, a bit of weight on the front end to decrease muzzle flip and to help keep the gun oriented in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ^This^ is why I have always thought a Centennial style snub with all of the uber lightweight parts but the barrel off of a 640 would be just about perfect. Light to carry, a bit of weight on the front end to decrease muzzle flip and to help keep the gun oriented in the pocket.
    They made a similar gun - A 642 with a 2.5" barrel and pinned front sight. Pic stolen from the internets. I've never seen one in person, but I've always wanted one, seems like about the perfect J-Frame. Edit: I guess you meant a Scandium gun not an airweight, sorry.

User Tag List