Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup/NPE Gun Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Frankly, I don't get why people advocate the S&W snub revolver when the Glock 19 is basically the same size.
    Re-reading that, I can see how it might come off snarky. I guess it kind of is, but at the same time I really am interested in the reasoning and learning. So I appreciate you guys replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Ankle carry that G19 for one week each in your pocket and on your ankle then get back with me on "Why?"
    One reason is weight, depending on which J frame, the wheelgun is less than half the weight of a G19, a 340 is pushing 1/3 of the weight.
    ETA; For a belt worn gun I agree though
    Good point about the weight. I wouldn't even attempt to ankle carry a G19.
    But at least with pocket carry I see that as a function of size first, then weight. I think the pair of BDUs I own have the largest pockets out of all my pants, and you could clearly see the magazine base plate of my G19 in it. Maybe a 642 would fit better, but I then again I wear khakis 60% of the time and jeans the other 40%. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Not even close... pictures and calipers do not tell the whole story.
    Could you elaborate on this? I'm not trying to be down on snubs, I just don't know what I don't know.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not trying to be down on snubs, I just don't know what I don't know.
    First, a 442 is much closer to G26 size than it is G19 size.
    The overall rounded shape of the J-frame conceals and draws MUCH easier than the square grip and slide of an auto.
    From a pocket it's not even close. I haven't found any auto (even the micro-autos) that draw as consistently fast as a J-frame. The rounded butt and frame don't hang up like the square slide and magazine baseplate profile of the autos.
    The profile of a J-frame with it's rounded contours and multiple height/depth transitions disguises much easier then the slab sided, angular autos.
    Nothing beats a J-frame when it comes to a concealable handgun in a duty caliber.
    The trade off is shootability and capacity.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I don't have that problem.
    Now that's just funny!

Ken

What about the new Ruger LC9s? Small, striker fired 9mm, 7+1. Supposed to have a really nice trigger.

I REALLY appreciate the advice. I'm kinda coming to the conclusion that I'm not really going to know what's going to work best for me until I get my hands on something and try it out. My plan is to pick up a 442 and the next time I make it to my blue label dealer grab a G42. From there I can see which one works best and then focus on that particular gun. The G42 will at least be a decent gun for my wife to shoot (see: textbook gun purchase excuse).

Regarding 442s, locally almost all I've seen are no lock models which is great. Yesterday I came across a ProSeries 442 that uses moonclips, seems cool. I never knew a j-frame could be had with moonclips. LGS clerk says it can also be used without moonclips, is that legit?

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I REALLY appreciate the advice. I'm kinda coming to the conclusion that I'm not really going to know what's going to work best for me until I get my hands on something and try it out. My plan is to pick up a 442 and the next time I make it to my blue label dealer grab a G42. From there I can see which one works best and then focus on that particular gun. The G42 will at least be a decent gun for my wife to shoot (see: textbook gun purchase excuse).

Regarding 442s, locally almost all I've seen are no lock models which is great. Yesterday I came across a ProSeries 442 that uses moonclips, seems cool. I never knew a j-frame could be had with moonclips. LGS clerk says it can also be used without moonclips, is that legit?
    I think that's a good plan. Everyone is different and things like age, eye sight, hand strength and just preference makes a difference. If it were me, I'd avoid the moon clip J-frames. The clips are easy to bend and it's harder to conceal a reload than with speed strips.

Good luck!

Ken

Good point about the weight. I wouldn't even attempt to ankle carry a G19.
    But at least with pocket carry I see that as a function of size first, then weight. I think the pair of BDUs I own have the largest pockets out of all my pants, and you could clearly see the magazine base plate of my G19 in it. Maybe a 642 would fit better, but I then again I wear khakis 60% of the time and jeans the other 40%. Am I missing something?
    I'm not sure what you're asking here - Are you asking if you're missing something about pocket carry or about J-Frames and pocket carry? As Jody said the different height, smooth/curved shape of the J-Frame makes it much, much, easier to conceal. If you think about it, what's bulkier in your pocket, a paperback novel or a bar of soap? The soap weighs more and is thicker, yet I bet it fits better in your pocket than a book. Even if you had a bar of soap and the book at the same size, the roundness of the soap would still be less bulky. Same story with small autos and revolvers the difference in shapes, widths, heights, etc. makes the revolver more "organic" in the pocket.

With khakis and jeans, a J-Frame should be fairly easy to conceal in a pocket, provided you have moderately deep pockets (literally, not figuratively). For instance, I have a couple of pairs of pants where a gun, any gun, wouldn't fit in the pockets, but most casual/relaxed fit khakis, jeans, cargo pants, etc. All fit a loaded .38 without a problem.

I guess my suggestion would be to get a blue gun of a J-Frame and try it.

FYI - That might be a good suggestion for this thread - BLUE guns for potential pocket/ankle/etc. guns - Are cheaper than buying multiple guns.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post

I would stick with a standard no lock if you can find it and spend the money you save in ammo or an apex kit. The 442 I have is a pro model. There is really no advantage to it over a standard no lock. The trigger is a little smoother out of the box but it's still the same pull weight as a standard J frame as far as I can tell.

I have a moon clip on the rounds loaded in the pistol. The idea is to insure that all the brass ejects cleanly if I need to reload. Reloading a j frame with hollow points in a moon clip is a pain in the arse. Also I had to relieve the factory stocks a little to get empties with moon clips to eject cleanly.

When I bought mine it was the only no lock I could find locally and the price was reasonable.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks, the price between the Pro and standard no-lock 442 was $30 so that pays for the Apex kit. My last j had an apex kit in it before I sold it in a moment of weakness. The kit made a big difference in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Want to shoot it????
    Sure. Ought to be interesting next to my Remington 51.

One assumes you're not seeing the POI issues we experienced with our P230s?

User Tag List