Thread: Best number of reps per session to learn a drill?

Best number of reps per session to learn a drill?

Since there is a "finite" amount of ammo, time, energy, and motivation available for all of us, I have been thinking about the most efficient way to learn a new skill.

Lets take reloads for example.

Is it better to do 20 reps every night (dry), or 70 reps a couple of times a week? What is best for learning the muscle memory and developing speed?

I believe the order of importance was 1) recency, 2) frequency, 3)............

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

The only thing I'd add to John's post is stop when you feel your attention starting to drift. Once you lose focus, it's time to quit or start working on a different task.

I'll preface my statement below with the fact that I know virtually nothing, naval lint knows more than me.

But I do dry fire virtually every day. A couple of things I've found:

- Short sessions, about ten minutes long or so are all I can handle until my forearms are tired and I start to mentally drift.
    - I'm sharper on my dry fire drills if I practice every day, vs a couple sessions a week. I'm sharper at my range sessions if I keep this up as well.
    - I have to be honest with myself during dry fire, or else I'm just wasting time. By this I mean, am I doing a drill correctly? Am I focusing on my front sight. Am I calling my shots?
    - It took me about two months of daily dry fire to change the sequence of an admin task that I had practiced for about two years. By this I mean, ingraining the new sequence of the task to the subconscious level where I didn't have to think about it, I just did it. Changing more complex tasks, like my draw stroke are taking much longer to ingrain.
    - Doing drills when I'm tired or unmotivated have yielded some of the best "learning sessions" I've had.
    - Doing drills at half speed has been beneficial at times.
    - Going fast for the sake of going fast has been beneficial at times as well.

That's all I have.

User Tag List