Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitions in prone? Technique?

Transitions in prone? Technique?

Shot an IDPA stage, recently, that called for prone shooting, head/body, at 7 yards. Easy, I said, we do that for PPC league all winter. Well, we don't do transitions in PPC so it was a little harder than I thought.

What technique/s work well for the transitions in prone?

I might have the core strength to hold my elbows off the ground, but I think muscle fatigue and oxygen deficiency would set in quickly.

Happy shooting.
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyvarmint View Post
    Shot an IDPA stage, recently, that called for prone shooting, head/body, at 7 yards. Easy, I said, we do that for PPC league all winter. Well, we don't do transitions in PPC so it was a little harder than I thought.

What technique/s work well for the transitions in prone?

I might have the core strength to hold my elbows off the ground, but I think muscle fatigue and oxygen deficiency would set in quickly.

Happy shooting.
    What do you mean by "transition"?

Transitions from target to target.
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Site Supporter
    Just thinking out loud, rollover prone might be an option if you need to swing a larger arc than you can comfortably do from a conventional prone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Just thinking out loud, rollover prone might be an option if you need to swing a larger arc than you can comfortably do from a conventional prone.
    I think you're talking side prone, and yes, that would be better. Conventional prone styles gain a lot of accuracy from imparting a natural point of aim, which requires moving your whole body to change- the farther you get from the natural point of aim the less comfortable and less accurate you will be.

Rollover prone is face down with your butt in the air to shoot underneath things, its generally used to keep your whole body close to a tire or similar object for cover.

Would they let you fall back on your butt and lay down? 7 yards is REALLY close to be prone and shooting up for head shots.
    I'd rather go up the river with 11 studs than 100 ****heads. - COL Charlie Beckwith

Site Supporter
    Terminology regarding firearms techniques is often less precise than we'd like. I'm pretty sure Ray Chapman and others were calling it "rollover prone" since the 1980's, so I'll probably continue to refer to it as such. If you want to call it "side prone" that's fine too, as it presents a good verbal depiction of the position.

IIRC, Kyle Lamb calls the head-down, butt-up version "brokeback prone", which I think avoids confusion with anything else.

If I were designing a stage, I don't think I'd require someone to go prone against a 7 yard threat. OTOH, starting from a supine position could partially replicate having slipped and fallen, which seems more realistic to me. But then again, we are talking about an IDPA match .

Terminology regarding firearms techniques is often less precise than we'd like. I'm pretty sure Ray Chapman and others were calling it "rollover prone" since the 1980's, so I'll probably continue to refer to it as such. If you want to call it "side prone" that's fine too, as it presents a good verbal depiction of the position.

IIRC, Kyle Lamb calls the head-down, butt-up version "brokeback prone", which I think avoids confusion with anything else.

If I were designing a stage, I don't think I'd require someone to go prone against a 7 yard threat. OTOH, starting from a supine position could partially replicate having slipped and fallen, which seems more realistic to me. But then again, we are talking about an IDPA match .
    Yeah, you got me- I should've consulted the oracle (google).

In regards to the underlined- it's IDPA, maybe we could practice shooting off our butts to simulate tripping while doing the mandatory retreat on the classifier. "Retreat," ahh, call it walking backwards- anything else.
    I'd rather go up the river with 11 studs than 100 ****heads. - COL Charlie Beckwith

Supine requires more muzzle/body awareness than many casual competitors possess.
    Too easy for one of them to blast their own knee.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Too easy for one of them to blast their own knee.
    Or foot/feet.

If I were designing a stage, I don't think I'd require someone to go prone against a 7 yard threat.
    I agree. I mean, never say never, I'm sure there can be exceptions. But in general, the mobility loss of prone is not what I want against a threat that close. Ken Good's "Low Kneeling" has more potential than prone, I think, in a situation where you actually do want to get that low against that close a threat.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List