Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Kimbers?

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    It was always odd to me working for a few kimber master dealers that the only guns we sent back more than the kimber was taurus. It was expected with the taurus because they were so cheap, but with the kimbers being so expensive it always blew me away how many we sent back.
    Food for thought/counter point:

I watched a colt technician test fire a crate full of officers that were returned for feeding issues. All but 2 ran fine with the little old lady running the gun.

I looked at a few Warriors that had the mag well broached at the wrong angle. That was neat.

I saw a bunch of Springers come in that were machined with dull and broken tools. That was ugly beyond words.

I've seen 7 glocks now that had a similar problem as the one I posted in another thread.

So far, and remember I'm not a ninja/armorer, I've only seen 2 types of handgun that were consistently "right."
    P30s and P35s.

YMMV, FWIW

I'm low on caffeine, so might be some not to well thought out points.

Ref Colt Series 70 reissue
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Are they still building these?

Upon reflection, that Ed Brown seems a bit… over the top… for what I intend to do with it.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Series70™.aspx

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    So far, and remember I'm not a ninja/armorer, I've only seen 2 types of handgun that were consistently "right."
    P30s and P35s.

YMMV, FWIW

I'm low on caffeine, so might be some not to well thought out points.
    So far (and bear in mind, I'm not ninja/armorer OR an engineer, just some chick who had to deal with unhappy customers) Kimber's expectation/realization ratio is right at a sweet spot for generating butthurt in people holding receipts (all too often four-digit ones.)

Further, nobody who manned a counter during the Great External Extractor Fiasco of 2004 is ever going to have fond thoughts when the company's name is mentioned.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Oh, yes, I spent much of last evening poring over that and Bud's prices/availability.

Now I'm thinking I need a Gold Cup... Sure wish I still had the 1977-built GC I used to play at IPSC with. Of course, these new ones come with a BoMar-type rear sight, which (if done right) is more durable than the old Eliason sight.

At any rate, Colt it is. Now, to decide which one...

Thanks, man. I appreciate the link.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    What is your opinion, then? I read the other two threads that were linked to me and you didn't seem to share the same distaste for Kimbers that others do here.
    My opinion?

Okay, let's pretend we're not at p-f.com and I can bring my inner 1911 gun snob out to play: Kimber makes a frame/slide kit as good as anybody's under $1,000. Because if you're like me, and the gun cost less than about a kilobuck and a half, you're going to pitch everything but the frame, slide, and maybe the barrel, bushing, and small pins.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The XSE looks like a good buy, also was thinking about the Springfield MC Operator (I could do without the rail though).
    An MC Operator is just a Loaded with a different color scheme and rail.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'll never buy Kimber again.
    Ditto

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Ditto

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    I like the Sig 1911 guns. Stainless frames, slides, and barrels and they are made well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    My opinion?

Okay, let's pretend we're not at p-f.com and I can bring my inner 1911 gun snob out to play: Kimber makes a frame/slide kit as good as anybody's under $1,000. Because if you're like me, and the gun cost less than about a kilobuck and a half, you're going to pitch everything but the frame, slide, and maybe the barrel, bushing, and small pins.
    Hehe, so I'm not the only one who looks at a 1911 and says "Well, the frame, slide and barrel seem decent so I can work with that..." am I?

Reading too much p-f.com has me wanting a DW Valor to Springfield TRP, rather than a slide and frame starter kit.

Then I remember I could get three of the latest and greatest plastic bullet launchers for the same price and not have get setup to load for another caliber. That's enough to give me pause.

User Tag List