Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kimbers?

New Kimbers?

Hi,
    My shop recently took in a new Kimber Custom II two-tone. I am pretty impressed with it; the fit is tighter, and it has a better trigger, than any other Kimber in the case (Including the Super Carry).

I also noticed that the firing pin block has been redesigned and was a completely different shape (as in, not cylindrical). These changes make me wonder if there's something different going on at Kimber HQ and if anyone has any experience with recently manufactured Kimbers?

Or, hell, with the Kimber Custom II in general. Given that my current 1911 is a Taurus (which is actually pretty dang good) I've had an eye out for a potential "upgrade" and am thinking about scrounging my pennies together for this pistol. I did a search and I didn't see much in the way of recent threads talking specifically about Kimbers.

I think you'll just find the general consensus is - don't do it -

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ghlight=Kimber
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ghlight=Kimber

There's more out there, but I think you get the gist. The 1911 folks here are not fond of them and the recommendation is Colt Series 70 or Springfield TRP followed by higher end Colts, Springfields, Wilsons, and Nighthawks.

I read both threads. I'm aware of the reputation that Kimber has (mostly their pros and ultras) but it's always hard to tell how much of that is actually first-hand experience and how much is just repeating a thing that one's heard. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with most of the Kimbers I see but this one in question, that we just got in a couple days ago, actually impresses me. So I'm wondering if it's a fluke or not, but the different firing pin block has me thinking there might have been a permanent change somewhere in the last month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I read both threads. I'm aware of the reputation that Kimber has (mostly their pros and ultras) but it's always hard to tell how much of that is actually first-hand experience and how much is just repeating a thing that one's heard. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with most of the Kimbers I see but this one in question, that we just got in a couple days ago, actually impresses me. So I'm wondering if it's a fluke or not, but the different firing pin block has me thinking there might have been a permanent change somewhere in the last month or so.
    Or, perhaps, theyve used an even cheaper part. That theory cuts both ways.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Springfield Loaded.

The Kimber will be an upgrade from the Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Springfield Loaded.
    Solid choice but still at the bottom of my comfort level.

Also check out the Desert Eagle 1911s. They are a lot of gun for the money and remind me of the Kimbers of old.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

If I were in the market for an aprox $1k 1911, I'd get a S70 reissue first. Then I'd look at XSEs.

I'll never buy Kimber again.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'll never buy Kimber again.
    Same here.

Thanks for the input guys. The XSE looks like a good buy, also was thinking about the Springfield MC Operator (I could do without the rail though).

User Tag List