Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Group shooting -- 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Before I forget, I have had excellent results shooting Lawman 115 FMJ for accuracy challenges from 25-100 yards. It is available for just a slight premium to shooter ball, and groups on par in accuracy with Gold Dot 124+P, HST and Ranger T. It is pretty stout, feeling +P, making it perhaps not the best choice for high round count training sessions, but not objectionable for my distance shooting.
    I agree, and it is what I used to shoot the groups I posted earlier in this thread as well.

I shot this 25 yard, 5 shot group today standing unsupported from 25 yards with my gen4 G19, stock except for trijicon night sights. I was checking POA/POI on 147gr Speer Gold Dot 2. POA was center of upper A.

The shot that is separated from the rest to the right was the first shot of the 5. I readjusted my grip and checked the target afterward, and then fired the remaining 4 at a slow pace without readjusting my grip or looking where the shot hit before firing the next. When I do the latter, I find that my group size is significantly reduced at distance.

I noticed, especially at 100 yards, that I frequently had four clustered hits and one shot further out.

A friend wondered, about something Mas Ayoob discussed years back, about the hand cycled round impacting differently. Makes me want to experiment with firing a first shot at something else, and then shooting my group. Anyone have an opinion on this?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So you are thinking maybe the hand cycled round is seated differently in the chamber? Interesting thought.

I wonder if press checking the round, which I do every time I load, has something to do with it? I would think that loading and dropping the slide at lock or racking the slide and releasing at full extension would be almost equivalent to standard slide movement on recoil? Just a thought. It's definitely worth experimenting with.

I noticed, especially at 100 yards, that I frequently had four clustered hits and one shot further out.

A friend wondered, about something Mas Ayoob discussed years back, about the hand cycled round impacting differently. Makes me want to experiment with firing a first shot at something else, and then shooting my group. Anyone have an opinion on this?
    I loaded 11 rounds in the mag, the first 6 fired was a bill drill at 7 yards, and then the last 5 was this slow fired group, so I can only blame myself for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    So you are thinking maybe the hand cycled round is seated differently in the chamber? Interesting thought.

I wonder if press checking the round, which I do every time I load, has something to do with it? I would think that loading and dropping the slide at lock or racking the slide and releasing at full extension would be almost equivalent to standard slide movement on recoil? Just a thought. It's definitely worth experimenting with.
    Perusing the pictures I posted on page 4, there frequently is one out or further from the "group." I will need to test this stuff when I get back to 100 yards.

Funny about the 100 yard shooting. I started whacking at a steel at "25" yards today. Then I measured it, and it was at 40 yards. 25 yards feels a lot closer now than it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    I agree, and it is what I used to shoot the groups I posted earlier in this thread as well.
    SGAmmo has the Lawman TMJ on sale now for $225/1000!

http://www.sgammo.com/product/black-...n-tmj-ammo-536

SGAmmo has the Lawman TMJ on sale now for $225/1000!

http://www.sgammo.com/product/black-...n-tmj-ammo-536
    Fortunately, most of my ammo comes through work, and I reload for USPSA matches. That is a good price though.

Well out on the range earlier this week - we tried a Larue at 450m with pistol (well one guy started and I had to then try)

Winds where a little stupid - but if it had not been the wind, I think I would have landed the last few rounds from my mag of 147gr Golden Sabers.

I ended up aiming at a tank around the 950m mark using the DP Pro - then having to alter for wind around 30-40ft left and right of the left top of the left track...

Need to find somewhere to get paper on the 100 and 200m ranges
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

C
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Well out on the range earlier this week - we tried a Larue at 450m with pistol (well one guy started and I had to then try)

Winds where a little stupid - but if it had not been the wind, I think I would have landed the last few rounds from my mag of 147gr Golden Sabers.

I ended up aiming at a tank around the 950m mark using the DP Pro - then having to alter for wind around 30-40ft left and right of the left top of the left track...

Need to find somewhere to get paper on the 100 and 200m ranges
    To borrow a line I was on the receiving end of from Jeff Cooper, Kevin you better hope the paint wasn't to thick on those targets.

User Tag List