Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Group shooting -- 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards

Group shooting -- 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards

All this discussion of group shooting got my wife inspired to shoot longer range on paper today. We are just in from a group shooting session, where we set up IPSC cardboard plus an 8 inch steel, and shot at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards.

My wife shot her Glock 34 with Dawson FO sights and a stock barrel.

I first shot my Wilson customized Beretta 92A1 with FO sights, which has been my primary training pistol the last few months. As a control, I also shot my Mink CZ with FO sights, and then my Coldbore Custom Glock 17 chopped to a 19 butt (stock barrel) with HD sights. My wife was using Aguila ball and I was shooting 115 PMC.

We started at 25 yards, shooting the cardboard head, and then transitioned to the body at 50 yards and out. We shot five shot groups, so as not to get too fatigued. We mostly had A zone hits to 75 and then it gets harder. Eight inch steel was high probability to 75, where we both went 4/4 in a row (with the Glocks) on the 8 inch steel. At 100 yards, it was very iffy, partly I believe because our 3 inch at 25 yard pistols are shooting more like 12 inch groups at 100, making an 8 inch target small.

The absolute surprise was that I shot better centered, smaller groups with the chopped Gen 3 Glock 17 than with the Beretta or CZ. The Glock trigger also seemed easier to press without disturbing the sights. Both very surprising as I think of the Glock as the least "accurate" of these three pistols, with the "worst" trigger. Part of my rationale for the Beretta and CZ has always been how accurate they are. My wife thinks this is hysterical, being a long time Glocker.

Very interesting experience, which we will need to repeat more. 25 yards targets seem very close after shooting at the longer distances. If you have access to a longer range, I highly recommend this exercise.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interesting, and the longer range shooting often gives a better measure of shooter/hardware performance potential.

As a person who has spend a lot of time driving S&W k-frames in DAO, I don't have much of an issue with the trigger on my G17. I could still print tighter groups with the wheel gun using wad cutters, but I wasn't too far off the pace using CCI Blazer 124 FMJ loads in the G17 with Heinie sights so I guess your experience doesn't surprise me.

FWIW, my best-ever 600 score in a PPC civilian league I used to participate in was 596 with a 6" S&W Model 15, and that's going DOA the entire course, including at 50 yards. I used the G17 a couple of time and if I recall correctly, was about 10 points down my revolver average with it.

The absolute surprise was that I shot better centered, smaller groups
    Concentrating more. perhaps?

Hahaha! Not only a Glock but HD sights! Too coarse for precision doncha know? I dig those HDs.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Concentrating more. perhaps?
    I was actually concentrating equally hard with all three pistols, because I was trying to outshoot my wife.

A few pals suggested trick of the day. Don't know. In any event, I just went out shooting some 25 yard groups with two different Gen 3 17s, to try to learn more, and they both shot fantastically well. Will post up some photos later, but I was pressing the trigger without delay.

Site Supporter
    How do you like the HD's for shooting longer distance's? I've been thinking about trying a set, not sure about the wide front and U Notch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    How do you like the HD's for shooting longer distance's? I've been thinking about trying a set, not sure about the wide front and U Notch though.
    They are my favorite long distance sight set, for my eyes. There is enough light and a big enough front, I can see the front sight better than many other sights. Sometimes, I just use the orange ring, other times I use the top edge of the sight. At 100 yards, I just stuck the orange ring on the IPSC target and let go.

Here are some groups I shot shot at 25 yards, using two different G3 Glock 17s, trying to see whether the earlier result was a fluke.

First, is 10 shots at 25 with a G17, OEM barrel, and Taran FO sights, 115 Lawmen ball:

Second, is 10 shots at 25 with a Gen 3 17, Wilson barrel, HD sights, and I forget whether it was PMC or Lawmen. Light was tough -- in my eyes, and I was pressing the trigger without delay.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Hahaha! Not only a Glock but HD sights! Too coarse for precision doncha know? I dig those HDs.
    I shot a bunch of test groups with front sights of widths starting at 0.090" and going to whatever HD's are. They all shot about the same.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I shot a bunch of test groups with front sights of widths starting at 0.090" and going to whatever HD's are. They all shot about the same.

Okie John
    When I had a great run of ringing Frank Proctor's long steel plate at over 100 yards with my G26 I stopped after a good string of consecutive clangs I squealed in glee and Frank remarked profoundly - it all comes down to the trigger press. That was an exceptional episode for me, super sharp after about 6 hours of pistol shooting under his tutelage. I can't do that every day.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I enjoy long range (beyond 25 yards) pistol shooting and do it on a regular basis. Walk back drills are one of my favorite things to do.

There is nothing magical about bullets in flight. As long the bullet remains stable and wind is not a factor, a 2" group at 25 will be a 4"group at 50.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List