Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeper vs JM Custom Kydex AIWB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FerBoCarbo View Post
    Something about the Keeper that makes me doubtful are the foam wedges since they make the holster a little bulky if I needed to remove the holster a couple of times in the day for any reason.
    FWIW, I've never found the wedges to get in the way when donning or doffing the holster, and I slightly prefer the Keeper over the JM. I've recently modified some of my JM's with velcro and the leftover wedges from my Keeper, and found they work better for me that way.

Both are superb holsters, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have both, they are both very good, but I ended up using a CCC Shaggy.

It fits my body best.

Try this: put your unloaded gun inside your waistband, move it around until you find the best spot for you in terms of ride height, rake, amount of tuck needed, position on the belt etc.. (take measurements even), then start looking at which holster will fulfill best your precise circumstances.

With AIWB, personal fit really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    FWIW I carry my JMCK holsters without an undershirt about 70% of the time. Felt a little odd at first but I don't notice it now.

Also, just to throw this out... I started off with the belt loops on my first JMCK because I thought I'd want/need to remove the holster throughout the day, as I had with the previous kydex offerings I'd tried. I've since switched to using the split kydex loop on my holsters, though, because I find it prints less and, really, it is just as easy to remove the holster by undoing my belt if it comes to that. The comfort I've experienced with JMCK lends itself to all day wear, though, so it has been a non-issue.
    I suppose with the comfort pad it must be perfect then. I was thinking on getting both the snap loops and the split kydex loop for those same reasons! I can try both and choose which one I like better. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    FWIW, I've never found the wedges to get in the way when donning or doffing the holster, and I slightly prefer the Keeper over the JM. I've recently modified some of my JM's with velcro and the leftover wedges from my Keeper, and found they work better for me that way.

Both are superb holsters, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Do you wear loose or more fitting pants? I feel it'll look as if I stuffed some socks down there!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I have both, they are both very good, but I ended up using a CCC Shaggy.

It fits my body best.

Try this: put your unloaded gun inside your waistband, move it around until you find the best spot for you in terms of ride height, rake, amount of tuck needed, position on the belt etc.. (take measurements even), then start looking at which holster will fulfill best your precise circumstances.

With AIWB, personal fit really matters.
    Interesting approach but how would I know how each holster compares to those measurements? That's why on the OP I suggested pictures would be great. We could then see how each holster positions the gun compared to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by FerBoCarbo View Post
    Interesting approach but how would I know how each holster compares to those measurements? That's why on the OP I suggested pictures would be great. We could then see how each holster positions the gun compared to the other.
    You're right, pictures will help a great deal.

As to measurements, what I try to do is, for ride height as an example (which affects whether I am capable of getting a master grip on the gun), measure the distance between the root of the trigger guard and the top of the belt when I have found the spot where I can both get a master grip on the draw and have the gun not print; then I simply email the holster maker and ask what his numbers are. I didn't use to do this and ended with plenty of quality but ill fitting for me holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You're right, pictures will help a great deal.

As to measurements, what I try to do is, for ride height as an example (which affects whether I am capable of getting a master grip on the gun), measure the distance between the root of the trigger guard and the top of the belt when I have found the spot where I can both get a master grip on the draw and have the gun not print; then I simply email the holster maker and ask what his numbers are. I didn't use to do this and ended with plenty of quality but ill fitting for me holsters.
    I tried this these couple of days with different positions using my remora. That added to JM's help through mail made me decide on the JM. Seem like the best option and I am really happy with my choice!

I'll update when I get my holster in about 10 weeks. I ordered it with extra tuck, the new comfort pad and snap loops (and an extra split kydex loop). The JM and a beltman I just ordered add together to about what the Keeper costs by itself!

Thanks again to everyone for the answers!

Just saw this and wanted to add some info.

First all the holsters mentioned are awesome holsters!!

The Keeper has gone though a few changes, that include end user adjustemnts of ride hight and cant. These can really make the holster go from uncomfortable to very comfortable.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Just saw this and wanted to add some info.

First all the holsters mentioned are awesome holsters!!

The Keeper has gone though a few changes, that include end user adjustemnts of ride hight and cant. These can really make the holster go from uncomfortable to very comfortable.
    I might get one of yours and give it a try when I have some extra money to spend on holsters.

Never owned a Keepers but have multiple JM AIWB rigs for my Glocks and 1911. Should have my VP9 AIWB rig by October. I have the extra tuck and full guard on all of my holsters. Wear them without undershirts 100% of the time. A cheap solution to add some comfort (if desired) is to glue some moleskin to the side of the holster contacting your body. Another benefit is the moleskin is "grippier" than the kydex against your clothing, which in my experience keeps the holster in place better, especially when it's hot and you're sweating.

I have worked through a number of iterations with Tony at JM, and settled on a feature set I really like -- thicker kydex, green color, height adjustment in the holster, split loops with slightly extra height, no extra tuck, medium sweat guard, a wedge shape that optimizes a full firing grip, and now the comfort liner. He refers to this as the "George," to me and some of my buddies.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have worked through a number of iterations with Tony at JM, and settled on a feature set I really like -- thicker kydex, green color, height adjustment in the holster, split loops with slightly extra height, no extra tuck, medium sweat guard, a wedge shape that optimizes a full firing grip, and now the comfort liner. He refers to this as the "George," to me and some of my buddies.
    Pic of the comfort liner and wedge area as it pertains to obtaining a full grip?

User Tag List