Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: flashlights????

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Why the love for "clicky" tail caps? I find them more difficult to engage than the momentary version. I also want my light to shutdown NOW! when I release the button.
    Tim,

I think it depends on the clicky tail cap - There are good ones that are momentary on and then full on, that require a truly deliberate press to activate full-on. The ones on my Streamlight TL series come to mind an excellent examples of the type. I've never had an accidental "permanent on" with the light, only deliberate. The perm on feature is nice when you need a bright light for longer than just a couple of seconds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I got one of these and carry it all day in a tough industrial environment and carry it all the time outside of work. Its not tacticool but it does the job. It is not digitally regulated but for the money hard to beat. I'm going to order three more on my next Amazon order. For three bucks and some change if I loose it I really won't care.

http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Tor...led+flashlight
    I have several of the 3-mode lights around the house and in the car. There's a "SingFire" branded version that has the same 3 functions and zoom, but a brighter LED that I like a bit better, but for $7 this one has been useful. Recharging the 14500 batteries requires paying attention to the details. First time I used the charger I managed to put one battery in upside down and it didn't take 2 seconds for the charger to start flaming inside. Could have been bad had I not been standing next to the sink. Had to buy a new charger.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Did you get the chinese brand batteries and recharger? If so how have the batteries held up?
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I have several of the 3-mode lights around the house and in the car. There's a "SingFire" branded version that has the same 3 functions and zoom, but a brighter LED that I like a bit better, but for $7 this one has been useful. Recharging the 14500 batteries requires paying attention to the details. First time I used the charger I managed to put one battery in upside down and it didn't take 2 seconds for the charger to start flaming inside. Could have been bad had I not been standing next to the sink. Had to buy a new charger.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Tim,

I think it depends on the clicky tail cap - There are good ones that are momentary on and then full on, that require a truly deliberate press to activate full-on. The ones on my Streamlight TL series come to mind an excellent examples of the type. I've never had an accidental "permanent on" with the light, only deliberate. The perm on feature is nice when you need a bright light for longer than just a couple of seconds.
    My experience with clicky tail caps has been limited to a version I bought for my old hell for stout Surefire M2 Centurion. I thought it would be the cat's meow. Using anything other than Harries, I found the switch difficult to activate. It didn't take me long to switch back to the original momentary model.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Did you get the chinese brand batteries and recharger? If so how have the batteries held up?
    My research into 18650's anyway indicates the only way to fly is with Panasonic cores. Various vendors buy the cells and package them up with their label, sometimes adding the "protection" circuit onboard. Some 18650's sold are just recycled laptop batts. Many batts are waaaaaayyyyyyy overrated and just don't deliver.

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p...-chargers.html

Caveat Emptor with these babies.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'll have to dig but there was a study somewhere that seemed applicable that pointed towards 13-15 hz.
    I don't recall the strobe hz ? I asked Nitecore before buying there SRT5 and they said its based on a LE agency recommendation .

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I cut the tip off an old wool sock and shove it to the bottom of the pocket--no more eaten/shredded/torn pockets...
    That's a better idea than what I'm using. Thank you! BTW I just used my hanky . I swore after buying the E2D I would never buy a defender but I got a good deal on the defender P2X

Site Supporter
    I'm using whatever brand batteries came in the lights.... Chinese, I'm almost certain, but I'll check next time I have a chance. Assume no news = Chinese if I don't post a follow up.

After burning up the first charger I ordered another cheap charger off eBay and have not had any problems with it. The lights are only occasional use so I've only had reason to recharge the batteries twice. They last a reasonable amount of time on a charge. One of them gets pretty hot on full brightness after 10 minutes or so. They're certainly useful and compact enough to justify $7.

BTW... That first charger burned up simply by inserting the batteries with one battery upside down. The charger was NOT plugged in. Take care if you're using 14500's. I only charge them in the kitchen, over the granite counter with tile black splash, away from anything combustible. I haven't tried the lights with AA's yet to see how much different they perform. It's on my to-do list. Way down.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Most of the multi function lights out there are IMHO gimmicks. One wouldn't be able to run the switching under stress or in a timely manner. Ken's lights (Gladius and Estrella) are two of the very few that work in a combative environment. Most of the Streamlights are pretty good too, but it's easy to end up with strobe on those when you do momentary repeatedly and quickly.

Use of strobing is horribly misunderstood by most folks, hence the common idea that it's worthless. One should not be searching with the strobe mode, that's saved for when contact is made and you need to power up the bad guy and take their vision. If one knows how to use the tactics and timing to their advantage then strobing allows one to do some ninja magic that you would have to see to believe.

For stuff that isn't admin I prefer lights with good switchology like the Estrella, or a simple momentary on/off. Not a huge fan of clickies unless they are really well thought out. I also prefer lights that are tough enough to survive being dropped or banged into someone's head, and are waterproof.

My go-to lights are Sure Fires even though I'm not a fan of the people running the company, Streamlights, the above noted Estrella (IMHO the very best current police duty light being built, and the best one I have used in my career), and a few of the Bayco lights that I have been testing for a friend who reps for the company; http://www.baycoproducts.com/index.php/product/tactical

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Most of the multi function lights out there are IMHO gimmicks. One wouldn't be able to run the switching under stress or in a timely manner. Ken's lights (Gladius and Estrella) are two of the very few that work in a combative environment. Most of the Streamlights are pretty good too, but it's easy to end up with strobe on those when you do momentary repeatedly and quickly.

Use of strobing is horribly misunderstood by most folks, hence the common idea that it's worthless. One should not be searching with the strobe mode, that's saved for when contact is made and you need to power up the bad guy and take their vision. If one knows how to use the tactics and timing to their advantage then strobing allows one to do some ninja magic that you would have to see to believe.

For stuff that isn't admin I prefer lights with good switchology like the Estrella, or a simple momentary on/off. Not a huge fan of clickies unless they are really well thought out. I also prefer lights that are tough enough to survive being dropped or banged into someone's head, and are waterproof.

My go-to lights are Sure Fires even though I'm not a fan of the people running the company, Streamlights, the above noted Estrella (IMHO the very best current police duty light being built, and the best one I have used in my career), and a few of the Bayco lights that I have been testing for a friend who reps for the company; http://www.baycoproducts.com/index.php/product/tactical
    Good to know. I am intrigued by the Estrella as I am a fan of the Gladius. Candle power isn't the only measurement of a good light IMHO. Should be capable of delivering great "whack power" too.

Who teaches a good Ninja strobe class?

User Tag List