Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 rd Challenge with a revolver?

Talking

I have a crusty old Security Six that is 1,352 rounds into it so far. No problems noted. Nothing significant to report.

On the other hand, just for giggles, I once tried to see how long a New Vaquero chambered in 45 Colt would last firing only black powder cartridges. At slightly over 50 rounds, it was completely bound up to where I had to turn the cylinder by hand for each shot. But it sure smelled good.

Back when this challenge was first started on M4C I ran my 686 dash nothing through it. It made 2000 rounds no issues. Of course all the ammo was either Jacketed, Plated or Hi tech coated/Molly reloads running in the +P range. There were very few if any lead reloads. Ammo choice is the key to this challenge with revolvers and lead reloads, let alone cheap low quality lead reloads are the bane of revolver shooters.

For a what I will call tier one revolver (S&W, Ruger) in good condition using the aforementioned ammo this should be no issue. I do not consider Colt a tier one revolver at this point. I have seen too many that have cylinder gap issues and will end up binding after a few rounds due to heat expansion let alone debris buildup on the face of the cylinder and forcing cone. That includes later manufacture Pythons.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I shoot S&W k frames quite a bit. I reload so I have come up with a formula that works for my pistols. I use plated bullets with a fast clean powder which leaves very little residue. I have used ammo that left so much unburned powder it bound up the cylinder inside 50 rounds. Ammo selection is the key given a quality revolver in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I shoot S&W k frames quite a bit...Ammo selection is the key given a quality revolver in good condition.
    This.

User Tag List