Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practical differences between compact and standard sized handguns

I think questions for grip/recoil management, reload and such depends on if you can get your hand fully on the pistols. I shoot the g19 very similar to the way I shot my issued g22 because I get a full grip on either pistol. Reloading is slightly slower with the g19 because of the slightly smaller mag caused me to index it differently. Something a little practice will solve, but it is different.
    So for me it was a small but real difference between the two. Once I practiced with the g19 most of the differences went away. Switching for me was no big deal but I switched permanently. You know, the whole One Gun thing. If you are going to be switching back and forth it may be a larger problem for you.
    If you are switching from say a g19 to a g26 where you can no longer get your entire hand on the pistol, then it will be a larger difference to your grip/recoil management and reload. The g26 wasn't just my pinkie finger hanging out. It changed the grip enough that I was changing the pressure of my support thumb on the frame. The made long range shots go slightly right for me. Again, it was a small but real difference.
    Another thing to remember is that many inexperienced shooters have a large problem changing pistols due to not having a consistent grip, sight alignment and such on their full sized pistol. While many experienced shooters switch pistols often and don't have much change at all. So where you are in your development matters too.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I carry a CZ 75BD in the colder months and a CZ 75D PCR in all but the warmest weather when a Springfield XDs gets the nod.

I shoot the full size CZ better and find manipulation and reloads easier. The PCR feels better in my hand and has a subjectively better trigger and is a lot lighter - with time I may learn to shoot it better than the full size.

The XDs is (of course) very concealable and surprisingly accurate - when I am focused I can come close to matching my performance with the PCR. It is nowhere near as easy for me though. The bigger guns just lend themselves to a better grip right out of the holster and have better sights. They are more enjoyable to shoot too which leads to more practice.

Given a choice I would choose a full sized pistol all the time, no question.
    "A man's character is his fate."

For myself, I can't really say as I've been pretty loyal to the same gun since I started tracking performance. Although I've done a fair amount of timed drills with the Shield, and I'm always surprised at how well I can run that little gun. Anyway, this has been discussed a lot, and it always seems to vary by person. Here's a related thread: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...k-17-versus-34

In that thread TLG says he's always had better results with the 229 than the 226, and the G19 works as well or better for him than the G17. On the other hand, OrigamiAK recently posted his GSSF results by gun and IIRC he consistently did a bit better as the gun got bigger, from G26 to the G34.

Kyle Defoor said something loosely like that he can shoot a 19 about 85% as well as a 17.

When it comes to measured time and accuracy standards on things like the F.A.S.T, Bill Drill, El Pres, and several different qual courses I've shot with a G19, G17, and G34, I see very little difference when it comes to metrics like first shot out of the holster, split times, reload speeds or accuracy. Subjectively, if you wanted to get the calipers out measure dozens of groups shot from 15 to 25 yards, you'd probably find the groups are a little tighter the bigger the gun gets, but were talking a couple inches here, which I don't find important.

I do find that with a WML on the G19, I have a tendency to dip the muzzle and throw shots low by just enough to be noticealbe, and throw them out of the head box on a F.A.S.T. if I'm not being careful. I really don't like the way this gun balances with a WML, but I like the fact that it can take one.

It's when we get to the G26 that things get interesting. First, I'm a big guy. I'm 6'3", 250, with a hand size to match. Second, I really wanted this gun to work for me. My previous experiences with cut down versions of full size guns (i.e. Colt Officer's Model and etc) have been pretty disappointing, and my hat is off to Glock for making a chopped down version of a G26 work so well.

Even after quite a bit of work, most things with the G26 were measurably slower. I have difficulty establishing a good shooting grip with that gun in which I have confidence, and it slows me down. What is more telling, is that despite lots of dry and live practice, sometimes I would just completely blow the draw.

Split times didn't seem to matter that much. 15 to 25 yard accuracy was a bit reduced, but not by an amount I would find worrisome.

Reloads, again, were problematic, and generally slower by a few tenths or so. But again, the real worry was the occasional completely fumbled reload.

So I found that I could run the G19/17/34 platforms pretty smoothly at the limits of my abilities. Running the G26 required me to slow down or risk a fumble. That, in itself wasn't enough to dismiss the G26. Small guns are a compromise, and the question became "Is the reduced ability to run the G26 at speed offset by the concealability advantage?"

I divide carrying concealed into two categories: Carrying with my waistband covered by a garment, or carrying with my waistband uncovered, which pretty much means pocket carry for me.

Again, keep in mind I'm a big guy. If I carry a G17/G34 sized frame, I have to "dress around the gun" a little bit. I can comfortably carry a G19 under a t-shirt IWB.

I can also carry the G26 under a t-shirt, IWB, but found it didn't have much practical advantage. So if I'm going to carry IWB, with a cover garment, I might as well just carry a G19, and get the extra rounds and shootability.

That leaves pocket carry. I found that I COULD carry a G26 in a pocket, but it's a big old chunk of a gun to carry that way, and quite a few of my trousers and shorts just didn't work the a G26 in a pocket. Again, working the gun at speed out of a pocket, I didn't feel confident in my draw stroke.

Then we get to the real killer: retention. Rolling and practicing being in a FUT with a red gun G26 showed me I just didn't have enough meat on the gun, even with the pinky mag extensions, to hang onto it and it was easier for somebody to get out of my hand if we got into a disagreement about who was going to hold the pistol.

So I've wound up with this:

A g17 for open carry. I live a mile from the national forest, and it's normal and socially accepted to tote a pistol around openly up there. This gun also conceals well enough when we wind up eating in town after a backpackign trip or similar wilderness outing.

A G19 for concealed, on the waistline carry.

That old standby, the Smith and Wesson J-Frame (a 638 in my case) for pocket carry. I'm much quicker and more sure out of a pocket holster with this gun, and with the right grips, it's hard to get out of my hand.

That's the experience of one dude. Somebody with a different body type and hand size might have completely diffferent thoughts.

Great points re the G26. Those big meat hooks are an unfair advantage in running pistols hard but I can certainly see the worm turns when it comes to gripping the 26. While my fingers are long my hands are not thick and bulky and I'm sure that's a factor in handling the gun. Good to have your data points on that. Explains some things Doc has told me about some high end users issues with it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks guys! Some great info.

From what I gather the main difference comes into play with draws and reloads and to a very small extent distance shooting. I incidentally shoot my CZ a lot better at distance, but I think thats a function of the single action trigger.

The question is now with enough practice is it possible to overcome those deficiencies and basically remove the gap in reloads and draws!

In terms of G17 vs G34, I find the G34 unwieldy and prefer my G17.

User Tag List