Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which AR do you recommend to folks?

Which AR do you recommend to folks?

Just curious as to what people's opinions & preferences are. When someone asks me which AR they should get, I typically respond with Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense & to top it with an Aimpoint PRO. I recently just picked up a DDM4V5 & and am really digging that rifle.

What are they gonna do with it? The AR I would suggest to the guy who has a budget of $650 and wants to shoot a box of ammo a year will be different from what I tell the guy who has $3000 and wants to Larp in a shemagh class.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Me personally, I don't really care what they're gonna do with it. I don't recommend guns I wouldn't own myself. I see no reason to drop $700 on a bushmaster or Windham and not $800-$900 on a new Colt. I also see no point in spending $3000 on an AR, when a DD or BCM is available for $1k and will accomplish 99% of what a higher end gun will.

What they will do with it matters a lot. They can spend $700 on an M&P that will likely be fine or they can decide to shoot CMP/High Power and their $1000 BCM won't shoot nearly as well for that purpose as a cheaper gun will. Purpose matters. If one has no defined purpose and the budget for it a BCM or Colt seems just fine.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I get purpose matters, but 99% of folks have no purpose. If they do, it's usually training/defensive in nature. I'm just a proponent of the quality, all around carbine that will fill most roles well, but not necessarily expertly, like a G17/34...not the best, not the worst, but definitely good enough.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Actually get this question a lot from co-workers.

All depends on budget and intended usage.

For those who are wanting to get into one for as little as possible, I suggest the M&P sport which despite having some drawbacks has a good reputation, a solid company backing it up and a good barrel. It'll do 99% of what most buyers of a MSR want.

For those wanting more but still keeping it sub $1000 - I recommend a used upper level gun or any of the M&P or Sig M400 guns. Or alternately talking about building a lower and using a quality upper or sourcing mo-better parts.

For those wanting/willing to spend more that $1000 - I recommend the usual suspects, BCM, Colt, DD, Novesky.

Those wanting a piston gun I tell them to buy a DI gun. If they still have to have a piston gun, I recommend the Sig516 as it is fairly inexpensive and is the only one I have much experience with (and that experience has been very positive).

Optics - again it depends on their needs, but I caution against cheap Chinese crap.

People listen to me about 25-50% of the time (

I recently "adopted" a DD mid length and a NIB Smith M&P10T which I look forward to running once I'm done with my 516.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-07-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: make mo better

The good thing about the post panic AR market is that high quality guns are available for low low prices. I got my DDM4V5 new, out the door for $1k...a normally $1,500 rifle. 6920's are everywhere for under $900 & M&P's are easily obtainable for $800 & less.

I love my Barnes Precision Machine AR. It's not one of the big names at the moment, but it's a fine rifle.

Added bonus is that it's made in my home state, and an hour away.

Site Supporter
    I get this question all the time from non-shooters or new shooters - I recommend the S&W M&P AR as a starter AR. Unfortunately, they then either buy a "cheaper" AR that they are not satisfied with or a much more expensive rifle that just sits in the safe (or closet). However, sometimes I get a chance at a deal on the more expensive AR (or pistol or shotgun) when they get tired of the pricey toy in the safe (or closet) and sell at a much lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Just curious as to what people's opinions & preferences are.
    I'd recommend this.

I'd also recommend this . . .

. . . and this.

Or this . . .

. . . or this . . .

. . . or this . . .

. . . or this.

As orionz06 stated, "purpose matters." One of the great things about the AR-15 platform is that it is easily configured to suit a variety of roles.

User Tag List