Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Through Hardening Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Tenifer, like all nitrocarburizing processes, is a surface hardening process. The metal under the case will be as hard as it was before it was nitrocarburized.

The hardness of the base metal is typically chosen based on the fatigue resistance properties desired out of the part in question and is achieved via a through hardening process if the material is not hard enough in its mill form.

The above is a gross oversimplification as heat treatment is a wide subject and can be done in many different ways.
    There is a bit of confusion on FCN finishes and what they actually do.

FCN (and carburizing, and nitriding) were developed in war time to allow the machining and hardening of, literally, the gears of war. As a plus, the process made the low carbon low (none typically) alloy steels more corrosion resistant.

However, on high alloy/high carbon steels, the results can be drastically different. I never recommend this to stainless or high alloy steels. Or steels that have been heat treated.

If you desire a surface treatment for alloy or stainless, I suggest boriding.

But it won't be "bearded tactical black" rather a muted grey. Which looks better anyway. And Cerakote is always a good choice.

Bill thanks for your insights.

My knowledge comes from the mfg side of things, not from the design side. I agree that it is odd to see nitrocarburizing processes used on CRES. My aerospace customers virtually never require such treatments to their steels, preferring instead to age PH steels.

One of our customers is a well known earth moving machine company. They specify straight nitriding (not nitrocarburizing) used a lot on drive shafts made of high carbon content (4140 equivalent) steels. In their experience through hardening then nitriding yeilds superior fatigue life on splines over through hardening and selective induction hardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Wasn't a stock gun. Was a very expensive custom one.
    Very expensive custom Glock? These exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    Very expensive custom Glock? These exist?
    Have you been living in a cave that past 5 or so years?

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    Have you been living in a cave that past 5 or so years?
    I do know about Salient and Vez, though I try to forget.

And Boresight, Robar, Taran, Atei etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    There is a bit of confusion on FCN finishes and what they actually do.

FCN (and carburizing, and nitriding) were developed in war time to allow the machining and hardening of, literally, the gears of war. As a plus, the process made the low carbon low (none typically) alloy steels more corrosion resistant.

However, on high alloy/high carbon steels, the results can be drastically different. I never recommend this to stainless or high alloy steels. Or steels that have been heat treated.

If you desire a surface treatment for alloy or stainless, I suggest boriding.

But it won't be "bearded tactical black" rather a muted grey. Which looks better anyway. And Cerakote is always a good choice.
    I've started to recommend against it as well, when I started doing my research again. (Because of you.)

I really like everything I've learned about IonBondDLC over carbon steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

I actually like surface hardening over through hardening in a lot of situations, especially where you have a lot of impulse loading. If you start out with a nice ductile material and surface harden it you a part with a hard, wear-resistant surface and a ductile shock-tolerant bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by CompressionIgnition View Post
    I actually like surface hardening over through hardening in a lot of situations, especially where you have a lot of impulse loading. If you start out with a nice ductile material and surface harden it you a part with a hard, wear-resistant surface and a ductile shock-tolerant bulk.
    Isn't this carburizing or case hardening - like say a '98 Mauser? Is this the same as low carbon steel with Tennifer coating?

Quote Originally Posted by tomr View Post
    Isn't this carburizing or case hardening - like say a '98 Mauser? Is this the same as low carbon steel with Tennifer coating?
    Yep, a loved child has many names Though achieving a hard surface can be done in many ways.
    Last edited by CompressionIgnition; 09-09-2014 at 11:37 PM.

User Tag List