Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XDS as pocket/AIWB/BUG?

XDS as pocket/AIWB/BUG?

I've searched (x d s is too short to register), and I've read the thread on the XD "hate." I find the rental range reports of failures disturbing. The grip safety locking the slide is a huge problem.

However, the X D S design fixes that second flaw. I find the grip safety quite okay and helpful for an occasion when it could be handy to drop the pistol in a pocket.

I have only 400 rds through mine, so I can't say much about reliability, except that mine's perfect so far.

I also shoot it incredibly well (9mm version), much better than M&P and almost as well as my G19.

I stayed away from Kahr due to reliability reports.

Has anyone here spent enough time with one to know if this newer design has improved the XD series significantly? Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Geohans View Post
    I've searched (x d s is too short to register)
    You can also use Google to search our site. In the search box, after your terms, add
    Code:
    site:pistol-forum.com
    https://www.google.com/search?q=XDS+...m=122&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by JV_; 09-29-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: wording

IMO it's too big and heavy for pocket carry YMMV. I even have a left over kydex holster for pocket carry that I never got to try as I sold it before the holster was delivered.

Thanks Shenaniguns; what did you go with for this role?

I find the size just pushes my limits for pocket carry, but the CM9 seems a risky choice for reliability and requires learning a very different trigger.

I was torn between a j-frame and G42, the G42 won out even with 380 being less than ideal. But a shootable 380 like the G42 for occasional deep concealment, "casual" carry or for the pocket is ideal for me.

Shield?

J Frame Smith, I'm not a wheelgun guy - and got rid of my Airweight when running a night reload - but it does do well in the pocket role.

Honestly to me it seems like you're asking a lot from 1 pistol.
    I would not AIWB my BUG (although you can tuck one behind your patrol belt in uniform carry), as I see AIWB a primary carry (non uniform carry) method (for some).
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

I carried an XDS-45 in a Smartcarry holster for about a year. I really liked the gun. Too big for pocket or ankle carry, at least for me. Overall I prefer something bigger like a G19, or something smaller like a J frame or a LCP. The XDS, G26, and Shield sized guns really don't fulfill a vital role for me. I gave them all a try, though. I think most people are better off with a G17 or G19 sized gun, and then when something smaller is needed - go straight to a really small but reliable pocket gun like the LCP, or S&W 442/642.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Clay; 09-29-2014 at 02:31 PM.

I own a Shield and recently shot a XDS 9mm at the range. I prefer the Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    I own a Shield and recently shot a XDS 9mm at the range. I prefer the Shield.
    I tried the shield; for my hand, the XDS works much better.

The XDS really stretches the small gun category-- it's just a little too big, but it really works for me.

I don't see the level of failure reports for XDS that I see for Kahr-- otherwise I'd have one.

Just make sure you try one with a post recall trigger.

User Tag List