Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you have to learn the hard way about gear for training

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way about gear for training

#RESIST

If bacteria can grown in your body, you obviously are not drinking enough booze.

Get that BAL back to where it needs to be.

Dude. You and elbows. Glad its coming around.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I can't be sure, but in the last picture it appears that someone is aspirating your olecranon bursa. If so, at what point in your care was this done? I ask because it is both diagnostic and therapeutic for your likely condition (septic bursitis).

FWIW, your presentation is classic for a septic olecranon bursitis - antecedent trauma and a progressive redness and swelling to the extensor surface of the elbow. It is thought that the trauma causes an initially sterile reaction in the bursa which is a sack of fluid sitting above a joint. Eventually, the bursa becomes infected and staph species such as MRSA are the most common organisms.

Unlike simple cellulitis which is an infection of the skin and subcutaneous fat, septic bursitis is difficult to treat with just antibiotics. That is because the source of infection is the bursa which typically requires drainage of the infected fluid. There is some controversy as to the best method of drainage, but an initial trial of needle aspiration is reasonable. Many will require repeat aspiration, a rare few go to the OR for washout.

Finally, wear knee pads. The other common location for this problem is the pre-patella bursa that sits just above the knee. It is the gift that keeps on giving...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I have Hatch XTAKs but have been thinging of the Hatch neoprene for the elbows. I like the hard pads for knees but softer for the elbows. You can also use rollerskating/skateboarding gear that have been used years. Glad you are doing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I can't be sure, but in the last picture it appears that someone is aspirating your olecranon bursa. If so, at what point in your care was this done? I ask because it is both diagnostic and therapeutic for your likely condition (septic bursitis).

FWIW, your presentation is classic for a septic olecranon bursitis - antecedent trauma and a progressive redness and swelling to the extensor surface of the elbow. It is thought that the trauma causes an initially sterile reaction in the bursa which is a sack of fluid sitting above a joint. Eventually, the bursa becomes infected and staph species such as MRSA are the most common organisms.

Unlike simple cellulitis which is an infection of the skin and subcutaneous fat, septic bursitis is difficult to treat with just antibiotics. That is because the source of infection is the bursa which typically requires drainage of the infected fluid. There is some controversy as to the best method of drainage, but an initial trial of needle aspiration is reasonable. Many will require repeat aspiration, a rare few go to the OR for washout.

Finally, wear knee pads. The other common location for this problem is the pre-patella bursa that sits just above the knee. It is the gift that keeps on giving...
    Finally, someone explains things for me (seriously, thank you).

Yeah, it was drained several times. Bactrim, Keflex, and one other IV antibiotic didn't touch this. Zyvox literally made a difference overnight.
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I did a class with Kyle Defoor some years ago at Fuquay-Varina (range was largely sand) where I wore no protective gear for the joints and during a drill where we had to go prone on the clock I removed most of the skin from around my left elbow. I still have some scarring from it but there was never any infection. Awesome hair power, I suppose.

Knee and elbow pads are a good idea.
    3/15/2016

I wish you a complete recovery, Bax.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Finally, someone explains things for me (seriously, thank you).

Yeah, it was drained several times. Bactrim, Keflex, and one other IV antibiotic didn't touch this. Zyvox literally made a difference overnight.
    Bactrim and Keflex are the standard antibiotic adjunctive treatment for this condition because they cover the common offending organisms in a cost effective manner; Bactrim kills MRSA 95% of the time and Keflex picks up the strep and non-MRSA staph species. Both cost about $4 at Walmart. Zyvox is reserved for refractory cases because it costs about $500 per week and it is our only gun against monsters such as VRE.

However, the primary treatment is early drainage and many patients with adequate early drainage don't require antibiotics. Nothing heals like cold steel.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Bactrim and Keflex are the standard antibiotic adjunctive treatment for this condition because they cover the common offending organisms in a cost effective manner; Bactrim kills MRSA 95% of the time and Keflex picks up the strep and non-MRSA staph species. Both cost about $4 at Walmart. Zyvox is reserved for refractory cases because it costs about $500 per week and it is our only gun against monsters such as VRE.

However, the primary treatment is early drainage and many patients with adequate early drainage don't require antibiotics. Nothing heals like cold steel.
    I just went back through my treatment because I thought you would be interested. In order:

1. Bactrim.
    2. Nafcillin
    3. Vancomycin (2 grams)
    4. Zyvox (the only one that worked).

The Zyvox cost me $15
    #RESIST

User Tag List