Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help: "Twerking" left...

Need help: "Twerking" left...

So I have been shooting a P229 exclusively since middle of May and it's my first real foray into a TDA. I have about 2500 through it. Gradually I have been improving from an accuracy standpoint...until about 3 weeks ago. When the shot breaks I "twerk", if you will, the gun to the left ever so slightly. Ok, quite a bit because my shots will be centered dead left about 3 inches at 10 yards . I then begin to dry fire and for the first few pulls I can see the twerk. Then I will even out and begin to fire again. First shot will be dead center....then to my horror.....left. I have read and tried multiple things, more finger on trigger, less, adjusting grip, tension in my fingers and/or hand... still doing it. It's making me a crazy person!!!

I think, I think after shooting tonight I may need to use my support hand to drive the pistol forward more and apply more pressure to the left side of the gun...but idk. Has anyone gone through something similar? It's maddening...

Thanks guys!

Google "twerking", then come back and edit your post.

Check out the Ron Avery stripe drill. Focus on finishing the trigger press "flat."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Ha. I am knowledgeable of the disease. That's why i was grinning to myself as I typed that title.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Check out the Ron Avery stripe drill. Focus on finishing the trigger press "flat."
    I have seen it, and worked hard at doing it, but it hasn't cured this twitch/spasm muscle jerk, whatever it is. It's frustrating because no matter how much I dryfire, the next outing it rears it's ugly head.

2 things come to mind that may be affecting me. The lower 3 fingers on my strong hand being too loose, resulting in squeezing down at the moment of firing pushing the gun left. OR... My support hand not bracing the pistol properly.

Maybe I am missing something...

what happens to POI when you shoot right and left hand only?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    what happens to POI when you shoot right and left hand only?
    Now THAT is an interesting question. That's another thing I thought about after I finished tonight. The next time out I am going to do that. I truly believe POI will not be left with SHO/WHO. I am anxious to see.

Funny I'm in the same boat as you are - I started with the P229 in May and am currently at 2600 rounds. Out of curiosity is this happening with both DA and SA, or both? I have found that I need more trigger finger on the the trigger (almost to the first joint) than my M&P, especially with DA, to prevent stray lateral shots.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Now that is freakin funny!!!

I'm going to surmise that this issue (pushing shots to the non-dominant side) stems from a lack of balance between trigger weight and finger strength. I think a lot of shooters are using a trigger that is too heavy for what their finger muscles are able to consistently handle; and we all know and understand that a clean, consistent trigger press is one of the keys to accuracy with a pistol. So, what is the solution? A lighter trigger or a stronger finger? Yes! Both, or either one you feel more comfortable with, but understand that there are mechanical consequences of a lighter trigger that you may not enjoy. Meanwhile, you (and perhaps your lady ) would enjoy the benefits of a stronger finger muscle.

Work with one of these for a month or two and see what happens. I'll bet your Miley Cyrus Leftitis goes away:

User Tag List