Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I like Glock pistols (when out moose hunting)

Why I like Glock pistols (when out moose hunting)

Here is the short story. Flew out on floats Sunday afternoon, to be in position for the start of moose season this morning. Bears also like our camping spot. This morning at first light, paddled a few miles back up a river and into an intricate series of sloughs. Saw a number of cow moose. Late morning saw a small bull. Got out of the boat, and up onto a bit of land, where I had a prone shot at 350 yards. One shot of .300 WM out of the Brockman pre-64 model 70. I thought the moose was on dry ground -- I was wrong. When we reached the bull, only one tip of his antler was out of the water. With effort, we were able to drag him close to shore, but his antlers and front legs hung up. We got to spend over three hours quartering a moose in knee to thigh deep water. Everything, including my Glock 29 in the ALS holster, was soaked and covered in water, blood and debris. Packed 600 pounds of meat back to the canoe through knee to thigh deep water. A Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is very helpful with 120 pound rear quarters. Loaded it into the boat, and paddled in the few miles back to the plane. Flew back to our cabin end of the day as a storm hit.

Been hosing down all our gear, including my wife's and my Glock 29!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That's a good day in any book! I'm going to guess you didn't just leave the Brockman in the sludge while you worked? While I'm at it, I'll guess you didn't bring the Randall skinner, either?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Here are some photos:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Beautiful!
    Two quick questions:
    1. Have you ever test fired that Glock with all that gunk on/in it to make sure it would've work if needed?
    2. 600 lbs is a lot of meat. What is the cargo weight capacity of your plane?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What a life! If you're not shooting at Rogers, you're shooting at Mooses.

Nice shot of the bear prints.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here are some photos:

That looks so much more inviting than my office this morning. Congrats on filling the freezer up and thanks for sharing the motivational pictures.

I'm looking forward to deer season starting this coming Saturday. Just made up a big pot of venison chili last night to clear up the last bit of room.

Site Supporter
    Great pics George!

Here are some photos:

Is that a 182 or a 185? You got a Super Cub too?

Looking at that gorgeous landscape, and then thinking about the ghetto-fabulous blight I just drove through to get to the lab... it makes me sad.

You're a fortunate man.

Site Supporter
    Great pics and write up thanks for taking time to post them.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

User Tag List