Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HKparts.net - Bad news.

HKparts.net - Bad news.

I know there's a lot of HK guys here and thought this might be of interest. DOJ press release.

Department of Justice

Office of Public Affairs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, August 25, 2014

Utah Businessman Indicted for Unlicensed Dealing in Firearms, Smuggling U.S. Goods and Filing False Tax Returns

Adam Michael Webber, of Salt Lake County, Utah, was indicted on Friday by a federal grand jury in the District of Utah, the Justice Department announced. The indictment, which was made public today, charges Webber with one count of dealing in firearms without a license, one count of smuggling goods from the United States and six counts of filing false tax returns...

A trial date has not been scheduled. If convicted, Webber faces a statutory maximum sentence of 33 years in prison and may be subject to fines.

This article has a few more details for those interested. Vilos is his attorney.

“Not only does this indictment come from a vague and confusing law, it also arises from a vague agreement forced upon (Webber) under duress,” Vilos said...

“The ATF pressured him to never be an FFL,” Vilos said and explained that early on in his “part-time parts business,” Webber had legally purchased a machine gun. Some time later a buyer came a long, so Webber tried to sell it through a dealer licensed to transfer the gun, but unintentionally failed to follow the exact clerical steps which put him on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive’s radar. Agents confronted Webber about the transaction and threatened prosecution. Due to personal and financial issues at the time, he accepted the deal...

Vilos sees this case as ATF agents going after easy arrests. “These agents will spend time on cases like this because there’s absolutely no danger to them,” he said.
    Sounds about right.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Honestly - Without knowing the full details, even the DOJ press release sounds like a witch hunt.

Webber individually and through HK Parts and HK Parts Inc., sold firearms and firearms parts and accessories.
    That sounds pretty damning, until you realize he could individually sell guns and parts, and sell only parts through his companies.

It also looks like the "false tax return" charges are basically them tacking them on, "You sold guns and didn't report the income properly, therefore have some extra charges!"

-Rob

This sounds like crap on face value. Expensive to defend crap for sure, but crap nonetheless. So, where can I now go for HK parts?

Better yet, let's hope that the ATF/DOJ doesn't decide to go after other specialty parts dealers like Top Gun Shooting Supply (my favorite Sig parts dealer). Soon we could find online parts very scarce and expensive.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

While his prices are a rip off, he's been quite reliable source and I bought from him quite a bit. Too bad if this kills his business.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Soon we could find online parts very scarce and expensive.
    The incremental erosion effort marches steadily forward.

Yes. The federal machine is being used systematically to apply pressure to advance the agenda with the only moral discriminator being the ability to do so.
    The analogy of the frog in the pan of water slowly being heated to a boil comes to mind.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The BATFE going after exceptionally low-hanging fruit and making a mountain out of a molehill wouldn't shock me in the slightest.
    3/15/2016

Anyone know the nature of the original NFA violation that started this whole thing?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List