Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the 40cm trebuchet project

the 40cm trebuchet project

Damn you Freshman science, you just cost me 4 hours and about $75 to build a max 40cm x 40cm x 40cm trebuchet to launch a tennis ball into a 1m target at 5m, again at 7m and again at 10m.
    I spent 4 hours with my boy perfecting a gravity only powered trebuchet THEN he tells me we could have used freaking bungee cords....
    Fuck me dead... that would have greatly simplified shit 3 hours and $50 ago.

That is all
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Damn you Freshman science, you just cost me 4 hours and about $75 to build a max 40cm x 40cm x 40cm trebuchet to launch a tennis ball into a 1m target at 5m, again at 7m and again at 10m.
    I spent 4 hours with my boy perfecting a gravity only powered trebuchet THEN he tells me we could have used freaking bungee cords....

That is all
    Awesome. Hope they do that in my daughters class.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

3:1, sling attachment point to pivot : pivot to counterweight attachment
    1:1, sling length : sling attachment point to pivot
    100:1, counterweight : projectile weight
    Those are the ratios you'll be starting with.
    Good luck and prepare to make 6 trips back and forth to the lumber yard even with a well stocked garage and scrap pile.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

3:1, sling attachment point to pivot : pivot to counterweight attachment
    1:1, sling length : sling attachment point to pivot
    100:1, counterweight : projectile weight
    Those are the ratios you'll be starting with.
    Good luck and prepare to make 6 trips back and forth to the lumber yard even with a well stocked garage and scrap pile.
    Thanks!!!
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I still love my buddy's rig. He made it to break down so it could live in the garage until Halloween when he would set it up to throw the pumpkins into the woods. Made a swing seat and used a couple kids as the counter weight.

Get it to fling a tennis ball 30+ meters and sell them to dog owners. That would be the coolest way ever to play fetch with your dog.

But at least you built a real trebuchet, and not a catapult...

When my son is old enough we're building one. I've also harbored a dream of a pintle-mounted crossbow for the bed of my truck...
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Site Supporter
    We finished a potential - - > kinetic energy car last weekend.
    1.5M(height)x.5Mx.5M max.
    Had to cover 5M including a small incline.

About $40 and 7-8 hours invested. Worth every bit when I got the text message in all caps.. "PERFECT SCORE!"

(Although I'm jealous over the Trebuchet project)
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 12-08-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

This book was essential in my parents raising of me
    https://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Ball...ard+ballistics
    (hopefully i linked that correctly for P-f dollars)

Not real without pics.

User Tag List