Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For when you can't find a good used Surefire X300

I started with a X300 on my G17, then switched to the APL. Yes, the G17/APL will fit in holsters made for the X300, but you end up with a longer/larger holster than needed. I can say from first-hand experience my new JM Custom OWB holster is far more compact than any of the holsters I have seen made for the X300. John uses the minimum amount of material to make a functional holster, which results in a compact and more concealable rig (see photo below).

My APL has thus far remained attached to my G17, and unlike the youtube video of the APL flying off several different pistols, I am unable to pull if off my Glock by hand. Just as some cheap-and-easy insurance, I placed Scotch double-sided tape (the thin kind) on the rails of the Glock and then installed the APL. If it wasn't going anywhere before, it definitely isn't now!

I've had a TLR-1 HL on a LMT Mk-18 SBR for over a year, and have beat the crap out of it. Very solid light.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

We've used the TLRs (more than a dozen) since 2007 or so). Only two have had issues. Mine just quit working several years ago; Streamlight promptly had a replacement en route before I shipped the bad one back. No one has reported any issues with the light coming loose.

I had never considered the APL until NH Shooter posted that pic of his holster. That is impressively compact compared to most of the light bearing holsters I've seen.

I did a little Googling and found a good photo comparison an Arfcom poster did between the APL and TLR-1: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/14...mparisons.html

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I started with a X300 on my G17, then switched to the APL. Yes, the G17/APL will fit in holsters made for the X300....
    Is it rattly? Does it fit tight? Do you need to tighten it down more on the slide than the light? The shortness/compact stature of the APL is awesome but not of much use if I can't get a duty holster for it (ALS/WRS/etc).

One needs to assess their usual mode of dress before thinking there is a huge advantage with the APL. It is a fine light and I would have no problems using one but it is not my preference. My mode of dress doesn't make the X300U more cumbersome than the APL despite it being a good bit smaller, relative.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    One needs to assess their usual mode of dress before thinking there is a huge advantage with the APL. It is a fine light and I would have no problems using one but it is not my preference. My mode of dress doesn't make the X300U more cumbersome than the APL despite it being a good bit smaller, relative.
    Exactly. The APL is about my limit for length when I sit down with a DOH holster. The 300U would be touching the seat before my body does, so it's just too much. Someone else might not have that problem, or might be fine without a dropped holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Is it rattly? Does it fit tight? Do you need to tighten it down more on the slide than the light?
    It is not rattly, though there is some front-to-back wobble, but the weapon does require a deliberate pull to get it out of the holster. Another point is that with the light removed, the gun is not held at all. I have a Safariland ALS holster for the Glock/X300 and it will hold the gun securely by itself, but the holster is anything but concealable.

One needs to assess their usual mode of dress before thinking there is a huge advantage with the APL.
    Exactly. I'm a civilian and at 5'8", not a big person so any reduction I can get in the size of the holster is very beneficial. If you're looking to carry a full size pistol with light in an OWB holster that is as concealable as possible, the Glock/APL/JM Custom package fits the bill.

EDIT - My normal EDC is a Walther PPS in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holster. It is extremely comfortable and can be concealed with just a shirt. The Walther is a very capable pistol for its size and the few IDPA matches I shot with it, I didn't drop as many points as I thought I would vs. using the G17. My problem was if I wanted to carry the Glock with a light, it was FAR less concealable in an OWB holster that is fitted for the X300.

The Glock/APL/JM Custom still is not as concealable as my Walther rig, but is MUCH more so that the Glock/X300 in the Safariland holster. It can now be effectively concealed with normal cool-weather attire and the small trade-off in light quality/durability (if any) was to me well worth it.

As is always the case with these discussions, YMMV.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-02-2014 at 05:50 AM.

I wouldn't worry about the APL falling off. I like the switching bit IMHO I think it needs to be a smidge brighter. I don't believe a whole lot is gained with its reduction in size though, that seems to be a novelty to me. By the time any of my holsters, purposely smaller than most, are made for it the overall size does not yield any gains in concealment over an X300U and that can use a DG switch.
    Are you planning on offering APL compatible holsters?
    I'm semi-considering getting one to try out since they seem to have the latching issue corrected on the Gen 2 version.
    I'm a pretty solid X300 guy, but not too deep in the Kool-Aid to try something else out.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

The X300 fairy showed up last night. Now to spec out my JM Custom IWB.....
    #RESIST

User Tag List