Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The infamous P250

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Word I've heard is that the 250s have largely been debugged, but who knows? The initial problems may have snakebit the gun for good, reputation-wise. People seem to dig the striker-fired variant okay...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    From what I've seen, Sig has tried to see just how close they can get to "good enough" without going too low or making parts of "excessive quality." Since 9mms place the least strain on the system, 9mm Sigs seem to be OK regardless of model. As you increase the stress on the system, the "just barely good enough" parts start to show themselves.
    I daresay that Sig isn't the only company that has done just exactly that. Seems to have been the driving force behind a few companies. Heck if you told a shooter in the 1970's that some company was going to make the fire control units of their pistol out of metal stampings, make the frame out of plastic, give it the ergos and appearance of a 2x4 and turn it into the most wildly popular pistol on the market they would laugh at you until they ran out of oxygen, passed out, woke up and laughed some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Word I've heard is that the 250s have largely been debugged, but who knows? The initial problems may have snakebit the gun for good, reputation-wise. People seem to dig the striker-fired variant okay...
    Like I said, mine ran just fine. It was just...quirky. I still have the frame of the one I shot at Bianchi, as well as a pile of magazines. I'll probably end up sticking them in the 320 that I totally didn't just order from Zanders.

I do recall Bruce Gray saying that the P250's are good to go now. But don't quote me. I respect his opinion and this has been my experience with two separate samples using the original caliber the gun came in and conversion kits. I too dislike the fact that the sights have function retaining internals in the slide assembly, I forgot about that in my first post. In comparison of the P250 to the P320 recoil impulse, feel, trigger reach and balance all felt the same to me but obviously that is some what subjective. I have seen almost nothing new in the past few years that didn't have fleas of some kind.

Caleb, be sure to post your opinion between the VP9 and the P320. I'd like to hear some more objective opinions/thoughts. It will be a few more weeks until I am back to play with my VP9 and now I don't have a P320 to compare it to. Though that might change, I still think I might end up with a compact version who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I can honestly say I wouldn't want to shoot that gun in .355 Magnum.
    It wasn't bad at all.
    Just loud.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I do recall Bruce Gray saying that the P250's are good to go now. But don't quote me.

Caleb, be sure to post your opinion between the VP9 and the P320. I'd like to hear some more objective opinions/thoughts. It will be a few more weeks until I am back to play with my VP9 and now I don't have a P320 to compare it to. Though that might change, I still think I might end up with a compact version who knows.
    Your recollection mirrors mine when it comes to Mr. Gray's assessment of the current P250 offerings. I do not recall him making a caliber qualification, but I would stick with 9mm for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

While not Caleb, I too have a VP9 and a P320 full size. Both guns have about 500-1000 rounds with no malfunctions. The VP9 is more comfortable to shoot and maybe marginally more accurate. I say more comfortable because I suffer a very small amount of bite on my trigger finger that is noticeable after about 200 rounds with the P320. I've not shot either gun with gloves. In terms of accuracy, my groups might be a little tighter with the VP9, but I'm no Molon. My only accuracy test for a handgun to to keep 10 rounds in the black of an B-8 at 25 yards off a bench with my carry (147 grain HST or GDHP) ammo. I also expect to keep 10 rounds in the center of an IDPA target at 25 yards off-hand. Both guns passed this test after 200 rounds.

If I had to choose only one as an individual shooter - I'd go with the VP9. However, I can see where the P320's interchangeability and serviceability would be very attractive to agencies. Bottom line to me, both are great guns. Neither will replace my Glocks, M&Ps or P-series Sigs until I have a year or two more experience shooting and servicing these guns.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-01-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Your recollection mirror mine when it comes to Mr. Gray's assessment of the current P250 offerings. I do not recall him making a caliber qualification, but I would stick with 9mm for all of the reasons mentioned I this thread.

While not Caleb, I too have both a VP9 and a P320 full size. Both guns have about 500-1000 rounds with no malfunctions. The VP9 is more comfortable to shoot and maybe marginally more accurate. I say more comfortable because I suffer a very small amount of bite on my trigger finger that is noticeable after about 200 rounds with the P320. I've not shot either gun with gloves. In terms of accuracy, my groups might be a little tighter with the VP9, but I'm no Molon. My only accuracy test for a handgun to to keep 10 rounds in the black of an B-8 at 25 yards off a bench with my carry (147 grain HST or GDHP) ammo. I also expect to keep 10 rounds in the center of an IDPA target at 25 yards off-hand. Both guns passed this test after 200 rounds.

If I had to choose only one as an individual shooter - I'd go with the VP9. However, I can see where the P320's interchangeability and serviceability would be very attractive to agencies.
    On the Sigforum there is a thread where one 320 user mated the full size slide (upper) with a short compact frame for a wicked cool looking combo that looked easy to conceal. Of course his tan paint treatment of the lower was very easy on the eyes too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Your recollection mirrors mine when it comes to Mr. Gray's assessment of the current P250 offerings. I do not recall him making a caliber qualification, but I would stick with 9mm for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

While not Caleb, I too have a VP9 and a P320 full size. Both guns have about 500-1000 rounds with no malfunctions. The VP9 is more comfortable to shoot and maybe marginally more accurate. I say more comfortable because I suffer a very small amount of bite on my trigger finger that is noticeable after about 200 rounds with the P320. I've not shot either gun with gloves. In terms of accuracy, my groups might be a little tighter with the VP9, but I'm no Molon. My only accuracy test for a handgun to to keep 10 rounds in the black of an B-8 at 25 yards off a bench with my carry (147 grain HST or GDHP) ammo. I also expect to keep 10 rounds in the center of an IDPA target at 25 yards off-hand. Both guns passed this test after 200 rounds.

If I had to choose only one as an individual shooter - I'd go with the VP9. However, I can see where the P320's interchangeability and serviceability would be very attractive to agencies. Bottom line to me, both are great guns. Neither will replace my Glocks, M&Ps or P-series Sigs until I have a year or two more experience shooting and servicing these guns.
    I'm interested in the P320, mainly because I read Bruce Gray's post about their FS model punching in the sub 3" range at 50 yards. That's impressive for $500 production gun. That and because you could slap a carry grip on a FS upper it seems, to get the best of both worlds for about $40.

I had an early run P250C in 9mm, and thought it was a decent effort on Sig's behalf, until it started to choke and bobble at around the 2,500 round mark. Despite the LONG trigger, I could shoot it nearly as fast as my G19, and the ergonomics of the "Compact Small" grip were MUCH better than the G19's.

What killed it for me was I bought it for modularity, but conversions were nearly as costly as a complete Glock, and the.40 S&W conversion I got wouldn't feed, fire, extract or eject worth a kitten with any ammo I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I daresay that Sig isn't the only company that has done just exactly that. Seems to have been the driving force behind a few companies. Heck if you told a shooter in the 1970's that some company was going to make the fire control units of their pistol out of metal stampings, make the frame out of plastic, give it the ergos and appearance of a 2x4 and turn it into the most wildly popular pistol on the market they would laugh at you until they ran out of oxygen, passed out, woke up and laughed some more.
    I wonder what said guy would do, if you then explained that remaining true to the cheapest, just enough to work, lowest common denominator, lowest bidder, stampings and plastic guns would become a point of pride to some people? I can't fathom it.

User Tag List