Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The infamous P250

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    I wonder what said guy would do, if you then explained that remaining true to the cheapest, just enough to work, lowest common denominator, lowest bidder, stampings and plastic guns would become a point of pride to some people? I can't fathom it.
    It makes sense in detached consideration. The best selling car, the best selling movie, and the best selling smartphone aren't necessarily functionally superior to the competition. Moral of the story;the average buyer doesnt care about the subtleties of quality.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I honestly really enjoy my P250c have about 600 rounds through it without an issue. I also paid 300 for and I feel it was hell of a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It makes sense in detached consideration. The best selling car, the best selling movie, and the best selling smartphone aren't necessarily functionally superior to the competition. Moral of the story;the average buyer doesnt care about the subtleties of quality.
    Yep. McDonalds is the best selling burger, Glock is the best selling pistol, and if that means there's nothing better/I don't need anything more/save to spend your money elsewhere to some people, it makes sense. There's more talk about the latest addition to the dollar menu (VP9/P320/Gen4/etc) than there is for steakhouses.

Or, perhaps the inflection point of diminishing returns is a lot less expensive than it once was.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I have a 250sc (with a mid-size frame on it; I chopped the dust cover to fit the sc slide), bought in mid-2010, which hasn't had a stoppage through about 1000rds. I actually bought the pistol to be my primary, but got an M&P shortly thereafter.
    I did break the 250. I got the thing for AWIB carry, the thumb-over-the-hammer routine, and wanted to know how it felt when the hammer was trying to come back against my thumb, so I placed thumb over hammer and pulled the trigger. The linkage gave, I guess; SIG fixed it. Shook my confidence in the gun, but it hasn't bobbled since, and I'd be OK with carrying it.

Moral of the story;the average buyer doesnt care about the subtleties of quality.
    Man, that is SO true.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I wonder what said guy would do, if you then explained that remaining true to the cheapest, just enough to work, lowest common denominator, lowest bidder, stampings and plastic guns would become a point of pride to some people? I can't fathom it.
    I know! Its hard to believe that everyone doesn't share my completely subjective preferences.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I think it has to do with pride in the performance vs pride in the object. That's it for me anyway.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

But if the best seller is functionally superior or at worst on par with the more expensive Gucci option; why go upscale? Prestige or cachet? Attempting to buy skill?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But if the best seller is functionally superior or at worst on par with the more expensive Gucci option; why go upscale? Prestige or cachet? Attempting to buy skill?
    Agree. Inexpensive does not have to mean low quality. My last 4 cars have been inexpensive economy models that I bought used. I picked brands with a good reputation for quality and avoided those without said reputations. I wanted transportation, I got it.
    I like the feel of good steel in the hand but acknowledge the durability and practicality of polymer. Some poly pistols feel cheap in the hand, like the vastly over priced KelTec PMR 30 I picked up [but did not buy] yesterday. As opposed to the HK VP9 I also felt up. it wasn't the price, they were close.

User Tag List