Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The infamous P250

The infamous P250

I spent around 4-5 hours with a gentleman Saturday helping him improve his handgun shooting.
    He was shooting one of the infamous Sig P250's in .357sig no less.
    This was my first time hands on with the P250 and I was prepared to be disappointed.
    You know what?
    It wasn't bad at all.
    Granted we only went through 300 rounds or so but there were no malfunctions at all (even with a relatively inexperienced shooter behind the trigger).
    The trigger was pretty good for a DAO, it was around 6# and very smooth if a bit long. It felt a lot like a Kahr Elite with some rounds through it.
    The trigger return/reset wasn't as positive as I like. On DAO's I prefer enough spring pressure to push my finger forward. I'd find my finger outrunning the trigger regularly (I do not like to lose contact with the trigger face on long DAO triggers).
    Accuracy was typical Sig. Outstanding.
    My first 3 rounds through the gun at 5 yards went through the same hole, making a tiny Mickey Mouse dead center of the A in the IPSC head box.
    My only suggestion to him was ditch the .357sig (and the Fobus holster) and get himself a 9mm frame/top end.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I completely agree JodyH. IMHO, the P250 has gotten a bad wrap. I have had the chance to shoot another members' P250 regularly and it isboringly reliable and accurate to a fault. I love that platform in 9mm and .45 ACP. My only gripe about the gun is the long reset. It would be a really great AIWB gun. I wonder if the magic hands at GGI can do something for the reset, I have been jonesing for one for a while only thing stopping me is I've have a few other things on my plate and I just haven't had the time to track one down.

I know several agencies around here who had successfully used old West German Sig P226's for 25 years. A few years ago, those pistols were in need of replacement. Unfortunately, their new Sig P226R's had numerous issues and failed rather quickly. Sig then tried to foist P250's on them; those were even worse...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Yea, sample of one and all.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I ran a 250 in 9mm for nearly an entire year. It was accurate and reliable. It was also maddenly quirky, because the rear sights were integrated into the slide, and he trigger return spring was also the mainspring.

Fun fact, the magazines for the P250 interchange with the 320 in the appropriate sizes.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Unfortunately, their new Sig P226R's had numerous issues and failed rather quickly. Sig then tried to foist P250's on them; those were even worse...
    They should have gone with Glocks or M&Ps. No agency's ever had issues with those.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    They should have gone with Glocks or M&Ps. No agency's ever had issues with those.
    LOL

From what I've seen, Sig has tried to see just how close they can get to "good enough" without going too low or making parts of "excessive quality." Since 9mms place the least strain on the system, 9mm Sigs seem to be OK regardless of model. As you increase the stress on the system, the "just barely good enough" parts start to show themselves.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Sig sold P250 to the Air Marshalls but the deal fell through. Why? I have it on good authority that the FAMs sent out pistols to their field offices as an introduction prior to the official move. In one office, of ten pistols sent out, one of them ran like a sewing machine and went thousands of rounds. The other NINE failed, catastrophically, within 400 rounds.

As best I can tell Sig has been getting better. Ron Cohen suggesting in an interview that Sig has given up on farming out their MIM work and are now doing it in-house. This is probably enough of a quality boost to keep Sigs, especially 9mm Sigs, good enough to trust.

I have heard the Sig P250 in 9mm as an excellent gun for newbies with very small hands. The trigger generally keeps them guessing and the "small" grip allows good trigger reach for even the smallest hands.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I shot a FAM's issued P250. He handed it to me with two loaded mags. I handed it back with one mag still full and he looked at me and said "I know."
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I shot a FAM's issued P250. He handed it to me with two loaded mags. I handed it back with one mag still full and he looked at me and said "I know."
    I can honestly say I wouldn't want to shoot that gun in .355 Magnum.

User Tag List