Thread: Which personal GPS to augment MDT terminal?

Which personal GPS to augment MDT terminal?

Our Mobile Data Terminals (MDTs) are a work in progress. Can anyone suggest a good GPS unit for city-type patrol use? In a perfect world cross streets and block numbers would be great to have...

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Our Mobile Data Terminals (MDTs) are a work in progress. Can anyone suggest a good GPS unit for city-type patrol use? In a perfect world cross streets and block numbers would be great to have...
    For years we used software for CAD made by OSSI Sungard. The original software had the option of "AVL" but we never used it til a few years ago. It works OK but when we add the overlay for block numbers they seem to get all jumbled up. Otherwise the package allows us to add notes to CAD, start our own calls, clear our calls, send car to car messages, do all our reports, check our jail/RMS system, and see who we want to see in the entire county and what calls they may be dealing with. Overall, it seems to work not only for my agency (42 officers) but every other agency in the county. Every EMS and fire unit in the county also utilize this system.

http://www.sungardps.com/solutions/o...ided-dispatch/

Too late to edit, some of our guys use Garmins to augment what we already have. No idea if they have block numbers.

I use a garmin (I think it's this one). I mostly use it for quick reference on what cross streets/roads are coming up. It doesn't show block numbers, thought that would be really nice. The mapping/AVL system we use works ok for finding calls and locating other units but it's not very user-friendly when trying to navigate on the fly.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

My last agency bought a cheaper version than Kenpo posted of the Garmin Nuvi's from Scheel's. No block numbers, but the cross streets and such were super helpful. I found it useful enough that I would entertain the thought of buying out of pocket for myself.

Thanks for the help guys. I bought a slightly older Nuvi 42LM(lifetime map updates ) for well under $100. It's perfect as it has a screen called "Where am I!" that you can get to simply by tapping the vehicle icon. This screen displays the nearest address and intersection as well as lat/long.

Thanks for the help guys. I bought a slightly older Nuvi 42LM(lifetime map updates ) for well under $100. It's perfect as it has a screen called "Where am I!" that you can get to simply by tapping the vehicle icon. This screen displays the nearest address and intersection as well as lat/long.
    I was going to be a simply suggest "map and compass" for the times when EVERYTHING goes down, but must concede there are plenty of times when the nearest street address and nearest intersection are very nice to access quickly. This Nuvi unit seems interesting. Thanks!

I will say that the new navigational part of Houston PD's MDT system is very good, providing latitude, longitude, and the nearest address, although the latest MDTs are probably less reliable, as a whole system, than any time since I have been familiar with them, which dates to 1984. This is an estimate, based upon the apparent number of nights the whole system crashes, plus the number of times individual units' MDTs are down while the system as a whole is OK. (I have not maintained a log, so this is anecdotal, not data.)

As usual, when using anything remotely similar to "social media," I will neither confirm nor deny whether my badge, says "Houston" on it.

The paper map idea is a good one. I always carry a laminated city map (customized) under my visor and have found it to be just as fast as using my phone/GPS to find streets that I'm not familiar with.

User Tag List