Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training $,and Balancing Economics vs Performance.

Training $,and Balancing Economics vs Performance.

Ideally, wed all live in an economic utopia where ammo and range time are infinite. For most of us, however, that really is "no place" we can ever go. A quote from my overpriced college texbook sums up the problem ably:

"The problem is that although your wants, or desires, are virtually unlimited, the resources available to satisfy these wants are scarce. "

Id love to be able to shoot like Rob Leatham or Jerry Michulek. That said, in my area 15k rounds of 9mm would cost me $4500. Thats not including the range time, target expense ($25 a set of IDPA targets add up faster then youd think),fuel, and hours allocated. And 15K is a fraction of what the aforementioned pros shoot.In more restrictive areas like many East Coast states, just getting the pistol and range access within the law can cost hundreds of dollars before a single shot is fired.

Where does one draw the economic balance? Especially since every person and every police agency will have differing budgetary capabilities. All the desire to be a better shooter does one no good if they cant afford practice costs.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Last edited by David S.; 08-31-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    I would also mention time. It takes dedicated time to excel - both life fire and dry fire. Life is a compromise - you have to make hard choices, develop a plan, execute the plan, revise and improve the plan as you gain more experience.

I've been tracking shooting costs a lot more recently, because everyone says to just start reloading.

Problem is, the good stuff (147gr montana gold, N320 powder, starline brass, bulk federal primers), puts me at abou 29.6c/shot. Assuming I have brass for next time, that's about 16.5c/shot. Given my time picking up brass, sorting out the brass, cleaning the brass, getting lead on my body/in my house, drying the brass, reloading, measuring, testing, setting up the equipment, maintaining the equipment, purchasing the equipment... is worth something, I can't seem to justify reloading when I can buy ammo for 20c/shot without putting down thousands on a reloading setup.

What do you think is the balance here, for economics to performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Problem is, the good stuff (147gr montana gold, N320 powder, starline brass, bulk federal primers), puts me at abou 29.6c/shot.
    I get around this by using cheaper components to make my ammo for practice and local matches, and saving the pricey stuff for majors. My practice ammo runs about 12.5c per shot, at current replacement costs.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Ideally, wed all live in an economic utopia where ammo and range time are infinite. For most of us, however, that really is "no place" we can ever go. A quote from my overpriced college texbook sums up the problem ably:

"The problem is that although your wants, or desires, are virtually unlimited, the resources available to satisfy these wants are scarce. "

Id love to be able to shoot like Rob Leatham or Jerry Michulek. That said, in my area 15k rounds of 9mm would cost me $4500. Thats not including the range time, target expense ($25 a set of IDPA targets add up faster then youd think),fuel, and hours allocated. And 15K is a fraction of what the aforementioned pros shoot.In more restrictive areas like many East Coast states, just getting the pistol and range access within the law can cost hundreds of dollars before a single shot is fired.

Where does one draw the economic balance? Especially since every person and every police agency will have differing budgetary capabilities. All the desire to be a better shooter does one no good if they cant afford practice costs.
    I find myself in the same situation. I really want to shoot more then I can afford lol. I live in the country on 12 acres so of it comes down to it I can walk out my back door and shoot, however I'm lucky enough to have the ability to get a indoor / outdoor range membership for 60 bucks a year. Ammo on the other hand is scarce sometimes. Because of that I search the internet constantly for good ammo deals and I approached one of the older retired members of my club that reloads. I bring him brass and cash and he gives me a great deal.

I am with Chris on this. Training and local matches get the cheap stuff. For training I don't even mind an occasional primer that doesn't go off, so until Obama's executive order effects supply I go with Tula primers which are cheaper than CCI (never had an issue with Tula's large pistol primers.)

Also I buy in bulk when ever possible, especially primers to spread the shipping costs.

Doing this I was able to keep my 38 & 45 reloads to about 33% of the cost of commercial ammo. I am still working out my 40 reloads right now but they look like they will come in about the same.

I will say my initial investment in equipment was made back in the mid 1980's and all I purchase now is an occasional die or caliber conversion kit.

Lead contamination is a concern, but with a little caution it's not that great. I am speaking as someone who had extremely elevated blood lead levels in the 80's. It was so high I was part of a national study on blood lead levels. Once I got my levels down just paying attention to personal hygiene during and after shooting & reloading I have kept my levels at low normal ever since. Also at the time I was casting bullets as well something I don't do anymore. I make sure when they do my annual blood work a lead panel is included.

As far as the OP's other concerns, time, travel, range fees, etc. Ya they have to be figured into your personal equation. Personally my shooting took a hit after the kids came along. For a decade and a half for me the only rounds that went down range were what was required for qualifications. It's only in the last 4 years that I have been able to find the time to shoot. For me outdoor ranges are an hour away. Also the annual fees or required work days can be pricey if they are accepting new members. There is a local indoor range only 10 minutes away. A couple of years ago they had a fire and replaced all the booths with ones made of aluminum diamond plate. The line can be extremely LOUD. Add that to the usual Derp and safety concerns I limit my time there.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

9mm wouldn't really be worth it to me, but .38 is getting so expensive that I am tempted to start reloading it.

Site Supporter
    I keep my reloading costs for low through using range pick up brass (free), cheapest primers available (currently Tula), using shotgun powders - WSF and Clays normally - and using Bayou Bullets. I will buy steel case 9mm when I see a deal. I use factory ammo on occasion for an important event - usually Blazer aluminum 115 FMJ. I try to carry the best factory carry ammo I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    I've been tracking shooting costs a lot more recently, because everyone says to just start reloading.

Problem is, the good stuff (147gr montana gold, N320 powder, starline brass, bulk federal primers), puts me at abou 29.6c/shot. Assuming I have brass for next time, that's about 16.5c/shot. Given my time picking up brass, sorting out the brass, cleaning the brass, getting lead on my body/in my house, drying the brass, reloading, measuring, testing, setting up the equipment, maintaining the equipment, purchasing the equipment... is worth something, I can't seem to justify reloading when I can buy ammo for 20c/shot without putting down thousands on a reloading setup.

What do you think is the balance here, for economics to performance?
    If you don't want to reload, you don't have to. But you made a strange comparison, I guess, to justify your decision. Top of the line reloading components vs $0.20 Wolf? Blazer? Brown Bear?

I use pick up brass and Bayou Bullets. Powder and primer are a smaller percentage of the cost of each round, so I use what I want and don't sweat the cost of those two. My component costs are a lot lower than $0.30 a round.

But if I were to factor in my time as some do, it wouldn't be worth it. However, I kind of like to reload (in moderation), so I don't factor in my time.

My advice to someone considering reloading - if you think you might enjoy the tinkering aspect of reloading, go for it. If it is something you know would be drudgery, just buy cheap 9mm by the case to keep prices down.

---------------------------------

For me, living in an urban area, getting to a decent range is the biggest expense in both time and money. Going to the range becomes an all day affair. I envy those with a range out their back doors.
    Last edited by Leozinho; 08-31-2014 at 09:35 AM.

User Tag List