Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Gray VP9 Trigger Work.

Bruce Gray VP9 Trigger Work.

A message on the VP9 trigger from Bruce Gray.

**Please stay tuned for a word from Mr. Gray, soon**

Thanks, Rick. I'm here to announce a new GGI action package, for the VP9:

This Trijicon HD-equipped and Damon Young-stippled VP9 was subjected to our first fully developed action package for this new model. After staring blankly at it for a month (well, not really...he's been studying this thing like a teenage boy at a nudist colony), Ricky detailed every action component in his usual obsessive manner. We solved the OEM trigger bar spring bearing failure problem with a new three-strand spring and unitized bearing (which we'll market as a drop-in fix ASAP, as it's needed), he invented a trick over travel stop, and adjusted the action to yield a 4 pound 4 ounce dead-crisp pull with a wicked short and snappy reset without diminishing sear or safety engagement values. All internal action parts are finished in our proprietary electroless nickel-PTFE. Its perfect.

The only downbside is on our end: these newfangled HK striker guns are very challenging to work on technically, and very tricky to reassemble. It's not a fast job, but by Elvis the results are there, solid as can be.

We'll ask Steve from Spider Creations to put this new package up on Grayguns.com ASAP. We're still backed up, of course, but Rick's doing a better job of keeping up on his Crew's backlog than I have on the SIG side. Call him or me for a quote, with our thanks!

-Bruce

I am going to start with a disclaimer that I like GGI work. In fact and coincidentally, I just paid them almost a grand for services rendered.

That said, I will not carry a gun with a 4.25 lbs, short takeup, no safety, 100% cocked striker gun. I said it when PPQ came out, and I am saying it now.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That said, I will not carry a gun with a 4.25 lbs, short takeup, no safety, 100% cocked striker gun. I said it when PPQ came out, and I am saying it now.
    I wonder why more companies don't do what Smith did with the M&Ps and offer thumb safeties as an option on their striker guns. I think those of us who desire that feature would be happy to pay more to cover the extra production expense. I guess they don't think enough people want it.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Yup.
    #RESIST

Maybe it's just me but that package is not needed...

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

What "OEM trigger bar spring bearing failure problem" ?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Interesting on this failure -- first I heard of it was in the Sig Forum thread. Also interesting on VP9 versus 320 comments, reference complexity of the VP9 as a negative.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Back on the original longer thread announcing the new VP9, I stirred the pot a little with my explanation of T&E guns, how they work and how there was a lag between the delivery of those, (with universally positive comments) and the production gun deliveries - inferring maybe these were potentially not the same. Fearing I knew better, but jonesing to buy a new pistol, I ignored my own advice and bought in. I quite agree with GJM re the trigger, not just the creep, but the angle and feel of it vs the FNS. What's intriguing is how the story is just sort of easing its way out. This Gray Guns announcement - like "yea there's a known problem and we've got the fix." Sorry don't mean to put words in their mouth, but interesting how the real story seems to be kind of just easing its way out. Ive called H&K a couple times asking for advice. They've been willing to take the gun back and check it over, but each rep has said, "Gee, we haven't heard of any problems." Looking inside the VP and a Glock, one has to wonder - which of these really came first? 4 years in development? Sounds good till you think about it. At Remington, in the '80s it was 3 years from idea to warehouse. This is 2014. CAD, CAM and CNC are well entrenched. Lest I sound totally negative, I really like the gun. The ergonomics are great. It shoots where I look. But wasn't the trigger what this was all about?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What "OEM trigger bar spring bearing failure problem" ?
    First I hear of it.

P.S. your pm mailbox is full.

Here's a bit of explanation from Mr. Gray re: the above comments, and it looks like we'll hear more soon:

I'm jumping the gun, so to speak, as my next post is going to be a more in depth comparison of the VP9 and the P320. I am an honest broker, and I believe my friends here can trust that I don't BS or sugarcoat anything. As nicely as I can, we will give credit where credit is due: the VP9 has some really good qualities on a shooter-interface level. But...that's not all there is to a truly practical service pistol, is it?

So, I'll say here and now that Rick and I were frankly astonished at what we saw when we first took it apart and examined it. And not all in a good way, to say the least. That flaky trigger bar spring and bearing arrangement is just one aspect that left us wondering aloud and shaking our heads.

Having shot and worked on both platforms for many years, there really are very good reasons why I came to prefer SIGs in general, and the new P320 in particular. This new VP9 exemplifies that reasoning in a number of key ways. I shall make that case for your consideration in my next piece here.
    Post on Sigforum (My apologies if links to other forums are not allowed, just wanted to cite the source, not trying to promote another site)

User Tag List