Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92FS Stovepipes and Brass to the face

Beretta 92FS Stovepipes and Brass to the face

Hi guys and gals, I wonder if any of the Beretta or general pistol experts here can tell me if I have a technical problem or a personal one. My Beretta 92FS has stovepiped 5-10 times in 5000 rounds and throws brass into my face with some regularity. I do not have stovepipe issues with any other guns I shoot. I am an enthusiastic and reasonably competent IDPA/USPSA shooter and an average sized guy. Would a new extractor or ejector fix the problem or do I need to tweak my technique?

Is the pistol lubed, and us the ammo of reasonable (meaning enough) power factor? Other than one dry Beretta, I can't remember a single stoppage in any of my 92 pistols. Lube fixed that instantly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is the pistol lubed, and us the ammo of reasonable (meaning enough) power factor? Other than one dry Beretta, I can't remember a single stoppage in any of my 92 pistols. Lube fixed that instantly.
    Yes, the pistol is well lubed and the ammo meets power factor. The problem used to manifest itself only on WH only strings which was probably my fault but today it happened in a freestyle spring. I am a big fan of the Beretta in general so I want to make it work. Would you recommend replacing springs?

You have just surpassed my pay grade, as I haven't experienced 92 problems. At the May Langdon class, we put 11,000 rounds down range through 19 92s without a single stoppage.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
    Yes, the pistol is well lubed and the ammo meets power factor. The problem used to manifest itself only on WH only strings which was probably my fault but today it happened in a freestyle spring. I am a big fan of the Beretta in general so I want to make it work. Would you recommend replacing springs?
    Is it an all stainless pistol or Bruniton?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Bruniton. Italian model purchased new 2006.

Hmm. Maybe I will send it to one of the well known Beretta smiths for an overhaul.

If you haven't done so, remove the extractor and give it a good cleaning. Replace the extractor spring while you're at it. You might also check the nose of the ejector to make sure it isn't damaged in some fashion.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks, Trooper. I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
    Thanks, Trooper. I will do that.
    I don't believe I've ever seen a M92 stove-pipe. That said, it sounds like the brass might be getting away from the extractor. How many rounds through the gun? In addition to what Trooper said, is the ejector loose?
    Last edited by Redhat; 08-29-2014 at 07:28 PM.

User Tag List