Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Remington 870: 18" vs 14" for patrol

We have around 350 870's in service. Most of the broken ejectors I saw were from the front of the ejector breaking off. I suspect that this has more to do with improper reassembly (hitting the front of the ejector with the barrel) than anything else. I've seen broken ejector springs from someone firing the shotgun without the bolt in the receiver. I'm not at an agency that encourages shooting, so problems related to high round counts are few and far between.

We don't shoot a lot either. The the only problem Ive seen over the years are broken shell latches.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I haven't seen any broken shell latches, I've seen one that came unstaked and I suspect that was a product of improper reassembly.

Overall the most common way to break an 870 that I've seen is to slam a trunk lid or support arm on the shotgun, or put in the back of the trunk against the lid latch and wait for the squad car to get rear ended. The latter claims 3-4 rifles and shotguns a year.

80% of our 870’s that come in for rebuild have broken ejectors. Most are broken at the front like Pablo said form improper installation or allowing the barrel to become loose.

I've shipped nine or ten (3%ish) to VCS, Remington's west coast warranty shop, over the past few years. While their comment has been that the ejector is a wear issue, those hear indicting improper assembly makes more sense.

Scattergun uses the Remington Express model as their base gun. Remington does not recommend LE/MIL using anything other then the 870 Police model for the following reasons;

1. All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
    2. Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
    3. A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5-8 lbs.
    4. A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
    5. Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key.
    6. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
    7. The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.
    8. The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.
    9. The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
    10. The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
    11. Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast (PMC) which are utilized on the Express models.

Our Express models are not holding up. Why anyone would sell it as a duty weapon is a sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
    Scattergun uses the Remington Express model as their base gun. Remington does not recommend LE/MIL using anything other then the 870 Police model for the following reasons;

1. All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
    2. Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
    3. A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5-8 lbs.
    4. A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
    5. Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key.
    6. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
    7. The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.
    8. The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.
    9. The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
    10. The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
    11. Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast (PMC) which are utilized on the Express models.

Our Express models are not holding up. Why anyone would sell it as a duty weapon is a sign of the times.
    From my experience, some of the above, although from the Remington LE web site, is outdated. The last dozen or so 870P models that I have examined all have the polymer trigger housing. The polymer housing seems as durable as the older alloy housing. Also, the ISS is gone from new commercial (Express and Wingmaster) guns due to consumer complaints.

The biggest issues with the Express, in my experience, are the dimples in the magazine tube, the cost-reduced magazine cap retention, and the thin matte blued finish does a great job of trapping fluids. The dimples make adding an extension a PITA, and the Express magazine cap retention just is not as good as the old lock. If there is no oil or grease in that finish, moisture and oxygen will get to the steel and rust it. The Express, after the first thousand rounds, is as smooth as an old Wingmaster.

I have had to re-stake shell latches (usually the left) on used guns, mostly from people who do not assemble the gun properly. Only one ejector broke, and it had to go back to Ilion.

My personal practice, which is not suitable for LE agency practice, is to buy every Wingmaster with a 2-3/4" chamber that I can find for less than $250. With a little bit of work (usually barrel length changes and choking) and some part swaps (usually the stock, forend, springs), I get a really nice shotgun for less than half of what Remington gets for a new 870P or Wingmaster. Everyone in my immediate family has a pair -- or more -- of 870s that we shoot regularly.

One of the 870s. Note the shortened vent barrel with a new front bead. The new barrel length is 18.5". This one is mine, and I did not opt for the magazine tube extension as the gun swings much better without it.

Last edited by farscott; 09-17-2014 at 05:42 AM.

User Tag List