Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870: 18" vs 14" for patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    It is easier to get your hot, sweaty hands out in front of the muzzle on a 14" gun. As I mentioned in Tam's thread on the Kel-Tec shotgun mishap, I almost had a hook for a hand due to a mishap with a breaching gun, although that was a 10" barrel. I feel that a handstop is an important accessory once the barrel gets below 18".
    Seems to me like the Surefire fore ends would help with this in addition to being a good white light, but I have spent no time with one...any thoughts on them?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    16.25 on the Guide Gun.
    Roger. That .25 is nice, in case the ATF guy's ruler measures a little different than your gunsmith's...

Would you guys say you would prefer a 14 in SBS or a 10 in SBR'ed AR15 for patrol use? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by gskip View Post
    Would you guys say you would prefer a 14 in SBS or a 10 in SBR'ed AR15 for patrol use? Just curious.
    I would take the 14" SBS. A 16" ar with a collapsible stock and a 14" 870 are pretty close in size. I carry an 18" 870 up front in the gun rack and an AR in the trunk. I would like to have a shorter shotgun up front for maneuverability, I don't have any problems with the length of the rifle and getting it out of the trunk.

I do too, but that is all I prefer about the Mossberg. Amongst other things, they don't seem to slick up as well as the 870.
    I don't disagree with that, a properly slicked up 870 is a wondrous thing to operate. As I spend more time shooting shotguns, I appreciate the utilitarian beater nature of the Mossberg more and more. "Hey, this gun cost 300 dollars but if I throw it off a train it still works. Cool."

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I don't disagree with that, a properly slicked up 870 is a wondrous thing to operate. As I spend more time shooting shotguns, I appreciate the utilitarian beater nature of the Mossberg more and more. "Hey, this gun cost 300 dollars but if I throw it off a train it still works. Cool."
    The Mossberg is a lot easier to fix as well. The Remington might win in the durability department (in theory at least) but there are some common repairs, like broken ejectors, that are a lot more work on the Remington than the Mossberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    They are right handy for the interior of houses, trailer homes, and ships. I've maneuvered around with a 14" 870, an MP5, and a 10" AR-15 and since the shotgun is shorter in all dimensions, length and height, as their is no mag sticking out the bottom, it's the easiest in tight spots.
    ^This^

Comes out of the passenger side of a compact car more gooder too when one is running plain clothes robbery surveillance.

The Mossberg is a lot easier to fix as well. The Remington might win in the durability department (in theory at least) but there are some common repairs, like broken ejectors, that are a lot more work on the Remington than the Mossberg.
    Working on both at the agency level, we have over 150 shotguns in the inventory, I have found this to be very much true.

I do too, but that is all I prefer about the Mossberg. Amongst other things, they don't seem to slick up as well as the 870.
    I really need to show you the 12 Trench gun I've been playing with.

I <3 <3 <3 <3 shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I really need to show you the 12 Trench gun I've been playing with.

I <3 <3 <3 <3 shotguns
    Oh please, oh please......

I come from shotgun stock. The old man is an unabashed shotgun man. His collection is worth more than his house. I blackmail him with that when necessary

User Tag List