Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for New 9mm Pistols ?

Recommendations for New 9mm Pistols ?

Hi guys. I've always pretty much been a 45ACP guy when it comes to pistols. But a few years ago, common sense told me I should finally get a 9mm. Modern ammo effectiveness, increased capacity, and lower ammo costs just couldn't be denied. I thought I'd 'play it safe' and get 'the most reliable 9mm out there, with a long history' so I got a Glock 17 - - Gen 3. Turns out it is an RXK gun built in July 2011, so its within the date range of the BTF guns. &*%$! I got some BTF with Win WhiteBox 115gr but haven't shot heavier bullets out of it. I was disgusted with the whole situation after reading about it online, and haven't shot the G17 much. Went back to the USP 45 Compact as my primary carry. (There was a guy who said he had a friend at the Glock factory who told him the Apex unit wasnt the required fix. I don't recall if he said you need the older style factory extractor, ejector, or both. Unfortunately, I just checked, and it looks like the guy took the video down.)

So, . . . I'll finally get to my questions - - - A couple men in my family want to get themselves 9mm pistols for home defense and maybe concealed carry later. What would you recommend to a family member in G17 and G19 sized 9mm pistols today ? These guys likely couldn't spend more than $550 or so for these pistols.
    (Got several kids in college, and money is tight).

Any news on a fix for the BTF date range guns ? Last time I checked on the issue, people still didn't know what exactly was going on with those guns. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Thought I'd ask here, as there's too much baloney in many other gun forums today. I did a search, but wanted to see what the latest word is before talking to the family.

While not a Glock, check out the excellent FNS-9. Grabagun has them in stock for around $460.91, with $5.99 shipping to your FFL. I'm enjoying mine and think it's the sleeper of the striker fired handgun world.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-25-2014 at 02:39 PM.

H&K VP9 seems to work well, by all accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

Site Supporter
    If striker fired isn't a requirement, look at the SIG SP2022 (SIG PRO) and the CZ P-07 / P-09. They are both DA/SA guns with good records of accuracy and reliabilkth and both can be found under $500.

Site Supporter
    I'm certainly not trying to defend Glock here, but I've got a few G17's and 19's that exhibit lousy ejection and an occasional BTF with bulk range ammo like WWB. However, they all eject much better with duty loads like GDHP 124+P, Win RA9TA, etc. Since I've always got eye pro at the range, I've decided I can tolerate an occasional BTF, as long as it's ONLY with the cheap stuff and not my carry ammo. I've also noted that the ejection seems to improve somewhat once the recoil spring gets a little mileage on it.

FN and HK are great guns too, but if funds are tight I'd probably try to make the G17 work first. Also, if your Gen4 came with a 336 ejector, you might try a 30274 before giving up on it.

Beretta 92/M9A1. Can't go wrong

Here is a post from a forum member who is a pretty well known shooter of .45 Auto pistols who has primarily moved over to the 9MM…
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ht=bill+wilson
    Bill Wilson wrote,
    This thread is the perfect place for me to do my first post on the forum.........

Now that I no longer shoot competitively in matches, I shoot primarily for two reasons: #1 to keep my proficiency up in case I ever need to deploy the pistol that's always on my hip. #2 Because I enjoy shooting and it's still plain ole FUN for me after all these years and millions of rounds downrange.

That being said I just don't enjoy guns that in my good buddy Ken Hackathorn's words "come out of the box with no pride of ownership". For me most polymer frame guns fit this category (P30 might be an exception), even though I personally shoot the PX4, M&P, P30 and FNS very well compared to others I shoot much more often. I just don't do Glocks due to the grip angle.

So when I go shooting (which I normally do 2-3 times a week) I want to shoot guns I enjoy and have pride in owning, like 1911s, Beretta 92s and various revolvers. At over 60 now both Ken and I have pretty much decided that shooting a lot of .45 like we used to just isn't as much fun as it was when we had fewer aches and pains! That coupled with what a 9mm will do down range with modern bullets/propellants has us both primarily shooting 9mm these days.

Not to say I don't shoot a wide variety of pistol models, I do because I want to be proficient with virtually any handgun I pick up. But when it comes to enjoyment, it's just a lot more fun to shoot guns you are very proud to own. These days guns that fit that category for me and what I shoot the most are:

WC 1911 Ultralight Carry spec Compact 9mm built on a steel frame
    WC 1911 Ultralight Carry full size 9mm, aluminum frame
    Beretta 92G SD or 92G Brigadier

I have a bunch of polymer pistols that are great "tools" and I have great confidence in the PX4 compact I often carry and personally shoot it very well, but as Ken O says "it comes out of the box with no pride of ownership" !

I've had excellent luck with current production Gen4 G17's. I am a big fan of the Walther P99 as well, an excellent gun available for right at $500.

Hilton Yam moved to the M&P

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631

Yam took a lot of heat on various forums for this one. I'm a long time 1911 shooter, in .45ACP, and really like the gun and the round, but Yam makes a lot of good points.

As I get older (I suspect I'm older than Yam, but younger than Wilson), I'm getting closer to making a similar move as both Bill Wilson and Hilton Yam. The Beretta 92 and M&P family are the two I'm looking at the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    I'm certainly not trying to defend Glock here, but I've got a few G17's and 19's that exhibit lousy ejection and an occasional BTF with bulk range ammo like WWB. However, they all eject much better with duty loads like GDHP 124+P, Win RA9TA, etc. Since I've always got eye pro at the range, I've decided I can tolerate an occasional BTF, as long as it's ONLY with the cheap stuff and not my carry ammo. I've also noted that the ejection seems to improve somewhat once the recoil spring gets a little mileage on it.

FN and HK are great guns too, but if funds are tight I'd probably try to make the G17 work first. Also, if your Gen4 came with a 336 ejector, you might try a 30274 before giving up on it.
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

@Dave J - thank you for your G17 comments. My Gen 3 G17 has a 336 ejector. I will look into getting a 30274 for it. Did you find this to improve any of your G17s or G19s ?

I'm actually not a Glock hater. I haven't had any problems with my G21sf or G20sf Gen 3 pistols.

Thanks again

User Tag List