Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Placebo Effect and guns?

Site Supporter
    We've used the term "honeymoon period" to refer to this in a couple of discussions about changing guns on the forum. I think you could easily replace "honeymoon period" with "placebo effect".

Drill Sergeant Dailey gave me this magic feather...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It is often observed here on PF that the new gun effect may create heightened focus that results in seemingly better measured performance also. Yet may plane out over time. I would think this too might be grouped into a placebo effect even though initial metrics seem to justify the first impression.

I've seen more than one new shooter get the sophomore slump in subsequent trips to shoot after the hyper focus on fundamentals wears off.
    It sounds like you are describing in layman's terms what is called a Hawthorne Effect. Basically, it means that study subjects alter their behavior because of the study. This is a major reason why we include control arms in prospective studies.

http://psychology.about.com/od/hinde...f_hawthorn.htm

Assuming that you do not think about research bias on a daily basis, your example of hyperfocus on fundamentals is an astute example of the Hawthorne Effect - very impressive.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List