Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Effect on Ammo of Frequently Reloading HD Weapon?

I actually shoot off two carry rounds. My first shot is just as I showed up. Then I remove my carry mag and shoot the second carry round that was chambered. Other than that, this is also my routine.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I haven't had any setback changes, but I will drop a round in the chamber without a mag in, drop the slide, then seat the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Will_H View Post
    I haven't had any setback changes, but I will drop a round in the chamber without a mag in, drop the slide, then seat the mag.
    Many say this is a bad idea (with a 1911 , it is). I have done this (station house load) with my Glock for a very long time, without issue. I also examine my extractor, on a regular basis, for damage (as well as the rounds that are chambered).

I've seen more jacked up extractors from ^This^ stuff than anything else. Don't.

I also burn the chambered duty round and the top round out of the duty ammo magazine when I shoot with my duty/carry gun/s. This is alos one reason why I have a dedicated training pistol though.

I done some back yard testing . re chamber loads. in 9mm/40S&W

Looking for set back and so on . I have also fired them off. I have yet to run into a dud / dead primmer.

Not saying it cant happen or its okay to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've seen more jacked up extractors from ^This^ stuff than anything else. Don't.

I also burn the chambered duty round and the top round out of the duty ammo magazine when I shoot with my duty/carry gun/s. This is alos one reason why I have a dedicated training pistol though.
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to get used to cycling through more carry ammo. I never thought twice about it until this thread.

You learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Will_H View Post
    I've seen a few chipped extractors and about 30 yrs ago, I broke an extractor on a BHP doing this.

I would STRONGLY recommend not doing this.

I will only ever cycle a round through the gun twice before it goes into the box to be shot at the range. ALso, when I can avoid it, I will shuffle the rounds in the mag so that the ones stripped off last time weren't the ones up in rotation this time, since there's a chance of setback or damage to the brass or whatever.

Ideally, the top rounds should be shot off and replaced with fresh ammo, and carry ammo should be shot off periodically as sweat, moisture, and other contaminants may get in and cause corrosion, etc, and I would rather be sure the ammo in the mag is relatively fresh and unlikely to be affected. This is a much bigger thing if you live in hot, moist environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I've seen a few chipped extractors and about 30 yrs ago, I broke an extractor on a BHP doing this.

I would STRONGLY recommend not doing this.

Yeah, I just can't see anything but bad juju coming from this.
    Last edited by leaddealer; 08-28-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: forgot to quote

I seem to recall Claude Warner posting somewhere that he takes a sharpie and marks the head of the case every time a round comes out of the chamber. Four tick marks = going to the training pile.

User Tag List