Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniform question

Chuck, I read in that other thread about the blue uniforms, and thought that was really pretty cool. It's just that that part got me to wondering where the brown or green or tan type uniforms that so many Highway Patrols and Sheriffs Dept's wear came from.

I googled it and came up empty, so I started this thread hoping to learn a little something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Chuck, I read in that other thread about the blue uniforms, and thought that was really pretty cool. It's just that that part got me to wondering where the brown or green or tan type uniforms that so many Highway Patrols and Sheriffs Dept's wear came from.

I googled it and came up empty, so I started this thread hoping to learn a little something.
    As with many things with .gov, there may not be any rhyme or reason behind a uniform choice. I've seen agencies get a new chief who doesn't like a particular color uniform, so he changes the uniform to what he likes. Other agencies let their officers choose what color style the agency will go with.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

My office did not adopt uniforms until April 26th, 1960 - someone dug up and shared a copy of the newspaper article announcing the change. Since then its been tan shirts with green trousers and jackets for the deputies.

Army uniforms weren't always blue, or green, browns have been thrown in as well. Just guessing that's the source.

Who wore campaign hats first, troopers or doughboys?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    In Ohio, Sheriff/Deputy Sheriff uniforms are dictated by law:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/311-1

Now why that color scheme was chosen was never told to me by the Sheriif's Office I worked for.
    West Virginia also.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

The military lineage is obvious with most LE uniforms, but can someone explain Minnesota's burgundy brigade? That's the real fashion question.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The military lineage is obvious with most LE uniforms, but can someone explain Minnesota's burgundy brigade? That's the real fashion question.

Nefarious Canadian influences.

Here in Minnesota they call it "maroon." In the last 5 years or so they went back to that same vehicle style: Maroon body with white front doors. I think they used to have a red so dark it was pretty much brown. I do remember they (DPS) tried to generate a lot of excitement about how great the traditional style looked on the new squads. Why maroon for the squads and uniform? No idea. Could have been to separate themselves from the similar uniforms of tan and brown worn by Sheriffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Sorry, that is freaking hideous

Haha, you don't have to apologize to me. I didn't pick the colors and I don't have to wear them. I'm not disagreeing with them being hideous either.

User Tag List