Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uniform question

I think the red color is symbolic of the red iron ore mined in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

That has got to be the ugliest uniform I've ever seen on an American LEO. I couldn't go to work every day looking like that.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    That has got to be the ugliest uniform I've ever seen on an American LEO. I couldn't go to work every day looking like that.
    It would take a LOT of liquor every day if one was to...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Concerning the tan/brown uniforms of County deputies I was told by one old time retiree that the color scheme was chosen due to the early days when the sheriff needed deputies he would raise a posse of locals, many of them farmers who wore a variation of brown clothing while working in the fields, usually covered with brown dirt. Thus the idea for uniforms when standardization was implemented. Seems as plausible explanation as the next to me.

Vermont State Police have a pretty interesting story behind their uniform. They were founded in 1947 right after WWII and their first commissioner was Maj. Merrit "Red" Edson of USMC Raider fame (my grandfather's battalion commander on Guadalcanal). He based their uniforms and training on the USMC's and to this day, it's still pretty evident in the uniforms

The most bad ass police uniform in the US:

And the least......

Gauntlets FTW!
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Gauntlets FTW!
    All those guys need are horses

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    All those guys need are horses
    And sabers...definitely, sabers.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Good questions. Down here in GA most of the County patrol cars are brown as well. I've always wondered why that color was chosen and why it was mandated (or at least seemed like it).

jlw come on in and 'splain it to us. I know you know.
    The Georgia Sheriff's Association has a set of "recommended" uniforms and markings for the 150 plus sheriff's offices in Georgia. Many of the smaller and less prosperus counties simply adopt the boiler plate recommendations. Some of the larger counties get a bit more creative. This back from when I was active in Georgia LE. The Georgia Statutes have laws regulating the signage minimums and emergency equipment for official vehicles and volunteer firefighters. In addition the Georgia State Patrol is covered in the statutes as well. The city and county Police forces chug along and can also get creative. One small town I was chief in had NO standards for uniforms. I simply wore the same uniform (Dark blue shirt with French blue trousers) as the last police department I worked at with new patches I designed. Several of the part timers I had on staff had various versions of tan/brown/green and gray. The current boss there has a gray uniform as standard but the part timers have some leeway as all equipment is privately purchased.

Florida is governed by statute for the Deputies and Sheriff's in the state to require some version of green in the uniforms and car markings.

User Tag List