Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foot Pursuits:How Fast Should a LEO be?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    At this time I can clock a two mile run at 16.00 minutes,if that helps.
    Gardone if you're younger than 30 I think you need to have that 2 miler more in the 12:30 range unless you're over 225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Gardone if you're younger than 30 I think you need to have that 2 miler more in the 12:30 range unless you're over 225 lbs.
    12:30 will take some training; not something most can just go out and run. That's a solid pace for a 5K. But seriously, look to get your 300M run time around 55 seconds, depending on your age/weight/fitness level. Better than 50 seconds is ideal. That's in addition to stamina/endurance runs ranging from 3-8 miles. Do not underestimate the importance of fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    12:30 will take some training; not something most can just go out and run.
    That's said from the standpoint of him looking at a unspecified future academy date. A motivated young dude should be able to get there.

At 46 I can run a sub 14:00 still.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    In evaluating a potential career in law enforcement, I've realized that I've not the first idea what to expect in terms of real world foot pursuit fitness. No disrespect to the entry standards at the Academy, but what run standard should I be prepared for in terms of real life police work?

At this time I can clock a two mile run at 16.00 minutes,if that helps.
    A good 2 mile time is fine but work in short sprints. Build up to full intensity 40's. Here's the deal. I can't speak to chasing thugs. But from the days I ran track in HS and a little in college fast forward just a few years to my mid-20's and I discovered barking hamstrings because I just did distance running for my 2 mile tests. A full on sprint can take those out fast if you have not conditioned them for that explosive effort.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I am with southnarc, a 8:00 mile pace is on the slower side. While I realize its not practical for everyone to get out and pt five times a week but there are ways to fit a good work out routine in. Also consider the fact that you wont be working in your gym shorts and favorite running shoes, so try to keep that in mind while picking the way you pt. I am also beginning to consider a LEO type job and have started to work in plate carrier runs in conjunction to my lifting. While I would not be wearing a PC in that capacity as a LEO, it does give me a understanding of the weight i could have on me and being uncomfortable (which helps mentally).
    Last edited by JV_; 08-19-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That is Biblically epic!
    I got a chuckle out of the tackle at the end, I had to rewind it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That is Biblically epic!
    A. That cop was a BIG man with some long dang legs..
    B. I love how he wrapped up his arms in the tackle so the BG went face first into the dirt, lol.
    C. Nothing whatsoever to add to the OP... Just had to comment.

Foot pursuits are one of the riskiest things a copper can do. Being fast is good, being smart is better.

Agreed.
    #RESIST

CATCH!

User Tag List