Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foot Pursuits:How Fast Should a LEO be?

Foot Pursuits:How Fast Should a LEO be?

In evaluating a potential career in law enforcement, I've realized that I've not the first idea what to expect in terms of real world foot pursuit fitness. No disrespect to the entry standards at the Academy, but what run standard should I be prepared for in terms of real life police work?

At this time I can clock a two mile run at 16.00 minutes,if that helps.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    You should be faster than the guy your chasing

Or, about as fast as this guy:

It isn't pure speed (which can help) or endurance (helps too). One shouldn't chase at full tilt as you need to prepare for &/or avoid a number of barriers, obstacles along the path. The radio and ability to establish perimeters quickly are your friends. Being able to map a neighborhood / area in your mind's eye is a good thing.

Foot pursuits can be as problematic, risky as vehicle pursuits to the coppers - while vehicle pursuits tend to hazard decent, normal humans as well.

One BIG southern California agency has really taken on the foot pursuit issue in policy and training. They are NOT tilting in favor of chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    You should be faster than the guy your chasing

Or, about as fast as this guy:
    That is Biblically epic!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Fast enough to keep them in sight and long enough to get other LEO's around. A lot of suspects run full tilt and gas out fast...then they look to hide. I can't tell you how many folks thought they had out run me (I ain't that fast) and slowed down and either hid or tried to blend in. A good steady pace is best. If that ain't good enough...then refer to the video above.

While being able to run down a suspect is nice, it is among the last things I think about when I think about what makes a good officer.

Your performance level right now is well beyond what most foot pursuits need, in my experience. If you really want to do something to improve, run obstacle courses.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    At this time I can clock a two mile run at 16.00 minutes,if that helps.
    If you have to chase a guy 2 miles, where the hell is your backup? I'd quit that department!

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    If you have to chase a guy 2 miles, where the hell is your backup? I'd quit that department!
    Come work some place rural. I cannot keep up with anyone out of the blocks, but given enough time, I can reel them in.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

As others alluded to there is a lot more to it than just speed and endurance. There were weeks that I would literally be in multiple foot chases every day. Most of the time I would catch who I was chasing. Not because I was all that, but it was often a combination of me chasing, with other officers getting set up to intercept or getting back to the squad and catching up that way. Clearly the better shape you are in and the stronger/faster you are the better, but it sounds like you would be just fine.

If you can keep them in sight and give that information out on the radio that works. If you catch them before they can start jumping fences even better. I've gotten pretty good at evaluating foot pursuits on the radio. I know who are track stars are. When I'm in the office and I hear them go in foot pursuit I usually wait to hear them say the guys in custody. Some guys I just get up right away and walk out to the car because I know I'll be doing a search with my dog.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List