Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unintentionally Limp-Wristing? How do I correct it?

Unintentionally Limp-Wristing? How do I correct it?

Semi-competent shooter with decent grip and posture (in my opinion), but I can't stop the gun from recoiling up and right in an almost arc. My biggest issue is I'm not sure what it feels like to do it any other way (if only I could possess TLG's body for a moment). As a professional drummer for 18 years, stiff wrists is something I've been trained to overcome since day 1. Now, I'm not sure If I'm actually limp wristing or what...

I can get shots in the 10-ring regularly without trouble one-at-a-time. Double-taps become more erratic. The fast I push, the wider the spread because of the recoil control, or lack thereof.

Help?
    Before I do anything, I ask myself, “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.
    Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by The Dreaming Tree View Post
    with decent grip and posture
    Don't be so sure about that. Your problem belies your statement.

First accept that your grip and posture can be improved then look for training to improve. Maybe someone else can link to a good tutorial video that shows what a proper grip looks like but the nuances between a mediocre and great grip are pretty hard to spot on a video.

"Grow stronger."

Strength training. Improve the entire structure. Stronger legs for a more stable base. Stronger core to stabilize the trunk. Stronger chest, back and shoulders to stabilize the arms. Stronger arms and hands to better control the bullet launcher.

If you're a drummer it shouldn't be a strength issue as it relates to hands and arms, IMO. As mentioned, how about the core and the basic stability issue? You're in Vegas, IIRC there are a number of places there with trainers who should be able to identify a basic problem like this and help you with it.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    the nuances between a mediocre and great grip are pretty hard to spot on a video.
    This a dozen times over. I thought for over a year that I was correctly using a "thumbs forward grip" because, well, my thumbs *were* pointing forward, and the pad of my support hand *was* properly high on the grip...

Site Supporter
    Usually when my pistol is recoiling up and to the right or left it is something I am doing with my opposite hand IE I'm not applying equal pressure and the gun is exploiting it.

What type of gun are you shooting ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Usually when my pistol is recoiling up and to the right or left it is something I am doing with my opposite hand IE I'm not applying equal pressure and the gun is exploiting it.

What type of gun are you shooting ?
    M&P Pro C.O.R.E. 5" is my home defense, fun gun. M&P Compact is my every day carry.
    Before I do anything, I ask myself, “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.
    Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by The Dreaming Tree View Post
    M&P Pro C.O.R.E. 5" is my home defense, fun gun. M&P Compact is my every day carry.
    What caliber?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Maybe someone else can link to a good tutorial video that shows what a proper grip looks like
    Two awesome tutorials:

In my own, humble words:
    • Use an isosceles stance and a thumbs-forward grip as shown in the videos. Grip the pistol as high as possible.
    • Bent your knees a little. Lean a bit forward.
    • Imagine a strong jet of water shooting out of the muzzle. This should lock the wrists.
    • With your support hand, apply a firm c-clamp grip around your shooting hand.
    • Increase the pressure on the trigger maintaining the jet of water and the c-clamp.
    • Follow-through. Reset the trigger.

Practice this with Bill Drills:

Last edited by P30; 08-23-2014 at 03:46 AM.

User Tag List