Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferguson discussion thread (FERGUDISHU)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Your risk/reward calculation is just that: yours.

Mine is different. We will leave it at that.
    That's true.

Right now I live in apartment, so for me it's not as meaningful. Perhaps that could change.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am not an admin, but in this site we stick to the topic and avoid making this personal. This provides a more useful discussion and prevents flaming. I will then gladly compose a reply.
    Cody
    Cody, this was not meant to be a personal attack. My apologies if you found me to be too direct. As to not being on topic, my reply was in kind to your comment and is very much relative to this discussion. With respect, I was a politely trying to make you aware of all the facts or lack there of to which you have based your judgment. I am sure that my post could use some polishing but I am sure it was be more appropriate than simply stating, "stay in your lane" without an explanation.

The bottom line is that without the facts and a more complete knowledge of the law where in which the riots took place, along with complete understanding of the context of the photo, (which is impossible) it is a hard line to take making judgements of officers and calling specific actions stupid. This goes without saying but I will say so anyways. If you are going to pass judgment it should be from a reasonable standard looking through the eyes of those who were present not from the outside looking in, it is same standard in which I am guessing you would like to be judged, just as I.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Thank you for posting that. Nice to see some more facts getting out there. Unfortunately, it is rather late though better then never. I am wondering if these facts will adjust any of the attitudes or if things will continue to fester.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Thank you for posting that. Nice to see some more facts getting out there. Unfortunately, it is rather late though better then never. I am wondering if these facts will adjust any of the attitudes or if things will continue to fester.
    The narrative accepted by the "no justice, no peace" crowd is pretty firmly established now and facts coming out that contradict it are irrelevant to the persistence of that narrative. We saw the same thing with Zimmerman/Martin.

The mainstream media's goal of adding fuel to the fire on this issue is nothing short of Orwellian in my view. I cannot believe I am seeing this coverage. That said, I don't think Ferguson PD's refusal to give out any information for days was helpful. Why wouldn't they announce Officer Wilson's injuries as soon as the controversy started. I wonder if that could have helped to keep things from getting out of control.

As far as I can tell, nobody in the mainstream media has bothered to mention that the initial narrative, "shot in the back while surrendering" seems to be contradicted by the autopsy.

I find this series of events very disturbing.

I wouldn't expect any substantial reporting about Officer Wilson's injuries since that would go against The Narrative.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    The mainstream media's goal of adding fuel to the fire on this issue is nothing short of Orwellian in my view. I cannot believe I am seeing this coverage. That said, I don't think Ferguson PD's refusal to give out any information for days was helpful. Why wouldn't they announce Officer Wilson's injuries as soon as the controversy started. I wonder if that could have helped to keep things from getting out of control.

As far as I can tell, nobody in the mainstream media has bothered to mention that the initial narrative, "shot in the back while surrendering" seems to be contradicted by the autopsy.

I find this series of events very disturbing.
    On the plus side, our chocolate rations have been increased from 80 grams to 40!

The American media exists to shape our opinions and to push a narrative, not to inform. As such, it's become the Trans-Ocean, Pravda and Novosti of our time.

I find European and British (gasp) news outlets to be more interesting, informative and less exasperating overall.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-19-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    So, nobody knows the rules of engagement for those officers
    Pretty sure the "rules of engagement" are spelled out by the Fourth Amendment and other relevant use of force case law - primarily TN. v. Garner, Graham v. Connor, and Scott v. Harris.

Officers may select a reasonable force option based primarily on:
    • Seriousness of the crime
    • Whether the criminal poses an immediate threat
    • Resistance by the criminal
    • Flight by the criminal

Secondary factors include:
    • The number of suspects and officers involved.
    • The size, age, and condition of the officer and suspect.
    • The duration of the action.
    • Whether the force applied resulted in injury.
    • Previous violent history of the suspect, known by the officer at the time.
    • The use of alcohol or drugs by the suspect.
    • The suspect‘s mental or psychiatric history, known by the officer at the time.
    • The presence of innocent bystanders.
    • The availability of other weapons (sprays, batons, tasers).
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

More fuel to add to the fire.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – Authorities are responding to a report of an officer involved shooting in north St. Louis. It happened just before 1 p.m. Tuesday at McLaran and Riverview outside a market.

Authorities say a man tried to rob the 5-Star Market convenience store with a knife.

The store owner says he got into a dispute with the man.

Police were called but the suspect refused to put down the weapon. He tried to attack police and was shot and killed.
    Massing already...

Getting kind of hard to avoid the conclusion that the only policing that a certain aspect of the population wants is no policing at all.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'm sure the deceased was on his way to a prayer meeting.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List