Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferguson discussion thread (FERGUDISHU)

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Thanks brain! You never let me down. Red flags looking pretty warranted here.

I believe this video supports the "went looking for trouble and found it" hypothesis.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    AFAIK, you are not allowed to use force to push through a mob. Them blocking you and inconveniencing you is not justification for maiming them.
    What about in an emergency situation? You need to get your wife or child to the hospital type of thing? What if there's a shots fired call, there's an officer down, and responding officers need to get there now! and the crowd won't move?

I'm genuinely curious. We get a lot of people getting smacked in Vegas every year and nobody bats an eye if they're not in a crosswalk. Typically a driver will not be charged here, if they're not drunk, and the person wasn't in a crosswalk.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Share this one......I originally posted it on a thread on Lightfighter about how departments treat guys who are in shootings. This is a bit better laid out, and has been posted on police bulletin boards in several places........I have been told it is usually pulled down within a day.-

Let me give a sad truth pill that anyone in L/E needs to swallow, no matter where you work. I had a GREAT 2nd phase FTO who was "Mr. Truth Pill" (RIP Pete). One of the most stellar cops to put on a badge. A couple of "Peteisms" that to my amazement all turned out to be true. First words out of his mouth to me-"Son, you are simply a hanger for that uniform for the city and easily replaced. None of these people (indicating the city and brass) really care about you......don't ever forget that". GOD was he right. Also a Peteism......."I'll give the crook a first shot before I kill him (and Pete killed crooks) so they can't give me any shit". As jacked up as that advice was, Pete had worked at several places and been in multi-agency task forces and saw a lot of how cops are treated after shootings......he knew stuff, and was essentially right.

Here is the DB truth pill. Dead cops are FAR easier for the brass and government than dead crooks. They get to put on class "A"'s, offer condolences to the family, talk about "what a hero" the officer was, everybody loves the department, letters and offers of sympathy come in from the community, all the other police executives call and the agency is the center of attention, the paper will write a nice editorial about the loss to the community, nobody protests, the city will approve some sympathy budget crap, they have something to share about how hard their job is ....you know comforting their officers and the widow and kids, no lawsuits to worry about......in cop executive world a dead cop is a TOTAL WIN.
    Compare the above to what a L/E executive has to deal with when one of their people have to kill a crook.......especially if it is anything less than raping a Nun, which would still elicit a "couldn't they have Mace'd them (which I am great with, but the Mace I would use isn't a chemical agent). Which one do you think is easier for the administration? Which one favors a strong leader (there is an extinct animal) vs. an administrator of any strength as they will get cut sympathy slack no matter how they handle an officer death.
    Bitter pill.......you are on your own-PERIOD. They could care less about training you to decisively CRUSH evil people trying to hurt you or those you are tasked with protecting (and are actually averse to it). YOU need to train, YOU need to properly equip yourself mentally, physically, and emotionally for the job. YOU need to invest in your gear and how to use it and care for it. If you don't want to do that (any many don't), you are placing yourself in the hands of those motivated by the the above.
    Essentially, ALL departments do not have your best interests in mind.........some are just more transparent about it.

This is a great post.

Woman Goes Into Labor While Stuck On I-80 Freeway During ‘I Can’t Breathe’ Protests.
    A woman went into labor while stuck in the traffic jam created by protesters blocking Interstate 80 in Berkeley Monday night.
    The woman was stuck on I-80 near the Ashby Avenue exit around 9:30 Monday as protests erupted in Berkeley for a third straight night.
    “I have a female stuck in traffic, she’s going to be in a beige Tahoe,” said an emergency dispatcher.

Fire crews were able to locate the woman get her safely to the hospital where she later gave birth to an 8-pound baby girl.

KPIX 5 reported late Monday that two other men were also taken to the hospital from the scene, one had suffered a stroke while the other experienced a heart attack.

I'm glad to see that one of our local neighborhoods, Deep Ellum (a funky place of hipster bars, galleries and modern artists) has solidly rallied behind one of their local officers, Jesus Martinez, after Martinez was fired and charged with "official oppression" stemming from a solo arrest of disruptive African American homeless man. The community protested, held a rally and attended city council meetings in support of the officer.

The officer was very well known in the community due in part to DPD's community policing policy and his own efforts.

The backlash to Martinez's firing began almost immediately. Deep Ellum businesses and residents lauded Martinez as an example of engaged community policing. He did things like give out his cell phone number and show up at community meetings, they said. Wesson was a consistent nuisance in the neighborhood. Martinez may have gone a little too far, but he was just doing his job. "Jesus Is My Homeboy" T-shirts were printed, and Deep Ellum clubs like Three Links featured Martinez on their social media and urged his rehiring

Wednesday, a group of Martinez supporters marched from Deep Ellum to City Hall to ask City Manager A.C. Gonzalez to get Martinez his job back. They were met in council chambers by three council members -- Adam Medrano, Philip Kingston and Scott Griggs -- wearing the T-shirts.

"Simply put, we want our officer back," Stephanie Johnson, a photographer and organizer of the Martinez supporters, said. "He is an invaluable part of our community and the city of Dallas as a whole."

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2014...lleagues.html/

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...il_meeting.php

That's awesome, it's really rare to hear of this sort of thing happening, especially if it's hipster central.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I'm glad to see that one of our local neighborhoods, Deep Ellum (a funky place of hipster bars, galleries and modern artists) has solidly rallied behind one of their local officers, Jesus Martinez, after Martinez was fired and charged with "official oppression" stemming from a solo arrest of disruptive African American homeless man. The community protested, held a rally and attended city council meetings in support of the officer.

The officer was very well known in the community due in part to DPD's community policing policy and his own efforts.

That made my day. Sometimes you forget not everyone hates the police, contrary to what the mainstream media says.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

It's one thing if you were minding your own business and a mob formed around you and tried to make entry into your vehicle.It's another if the mob is already formed, and instead of detouring you decide to drive into the mob.
    In a certain South American country back a little while, "impromptu" roadblocks became a real problem during a period of economic and political crisis. These roadblocks would involve burning tires, then burning cars, and other attacks on vehicles that were stopped. The problem was one would not initially know if the traffic jam was a result of just another bad traffic day until the emerging mob scene started making life very hard for the line of stopped cars.

Not an easy use of force scenario. And one unfortunately that has crossed a few minds lately... after all, for example Beltway area traffic may already be stopped when the mob problems really start in any given protest. The same dynamic could play out across more than a few urban metros with tough commutes baked into the cost of living.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post

Very cool. I lived in deep ellum for a year and really dug the blend of people there, and the sense of community.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That made my day. Sometimes you forget not everyone hates the police, contrary to what the mainstream media says.
    I don't think there's as much outright hatred as it seems. The "enlightened" among us have always been morons about that kind of stuff, but I think a larger number of people are parroting the talking points of the "enlightened" because they are so well insulated against the realities of the world. In other words, they're so distant from the threat (at least psychologically) that they don't really see what they are being protected from.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List