Page 28 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferguson discussion thread (FERGUDISHU)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's because the British haven't burned an American city in 200 years.
    *boom*

RIP QuikTrip.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    And it bears mentioning in cases like these, that while "a bunch of people ...(in Ferguson)... took this worthy's word over the cop's", that may not have mattered as much as their predetermined predilection to side with said "worthy" against the cops NO MATTER WHAT THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER.
    Are you talking about Radley Balko?

There are a whole bunch of my fellow wookie-suiters for whom the cop is never in the right. The big difference is that they're too busy keeping the IT infrastructure of the country humming to go burn down a Quikie Mart.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    are you talking about radley balko?

There are a whole bunch of my fellow wookie-suiters for whom the cop is never in the right. The big difference is that they're too busy keeping the it infrastructure of the country humming to go burn down a quikie mart.
    damn those it guys
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    damn those it guys
    I didn't say that "for all my fellow wookie-suiters the cop is never in the right."

I didn't say that "for all my fellow wookie-suiters the cop is never in the right."
    Only the ones that work with computers?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Are you talking about Radley Balko?
    No.

I wasn't referring to those who decry militarization of the police, problematic though that may be in various examples aired here.

I meant the rioters in Ferguson who are poised to not only believe the worst about the cops, but also to believe only the best about the members of their own "tribe", even to support those members irrespective of the truth, that is, to support them even when they know that the person in question is in the wrong.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    There's such a thing as healthy skepticism of claims an agent of the state makes in the aftermath of a use of force.

Then there's the sort of jackwagon who throws molotov cocktails, steals tennis shoes and electronics, and robs people in the resulting chaos. Dr. King was a protester of injustice. He never stole a pair of Jordans, nor did they join hands and sing "We Shall Overcome!" while people stole televisions out of a storefront.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    No.

I wasn't referring to those who decry militarization of the police, problematic though that may be in various examples aired here.

I meant the rioters in Ferguson who are poised to not only believe the worst about the cops, but also to believe only the best about the members of their own "tribe", even to support those members irrespective of the truth, that is, to support them even when they know that the person in question is in the wrong.
    I know plenty of people who will believe the worst about the cops, no matter what facts are presented. Some are even posters on this forum.

There's a guy here whose every solution for l'affaire du Ferguson involves sensitivity training for the cops, and not "Don't get assaulted by a thug who tries to grab your gun."

As far as "believing the best of your 'tribe'", well, given all the media on the incident, why wouldn't they? If all the news you were getting on this came from the television, there's no reason to think the cop didn't shoot the kid in the back. The news media went wall-to-wall getting everybody all stirred up over a "brutal police shooting" there at the start, and haven't devoted a tenth of that effort to walking back their original statements in light of recent developments because that's boring and, besides, Emmys!
    Last edited by Tamara; 08-27-2014 at 05:28 AM.

I don't know if this was posted over the last 28 pages but its pretty much on point.

http://chrishernandezauthor.com/2014...uson-missouri/

Quite a few folks I know have been rethinking their opposition to the "militarization" of the police because of Fergudishu. Kinda hard not to when you see and hear rounds impacting the armored vehicles there and the cops showing admirable restraint.
    #RESIST

User Tag List