Page 25 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferguson discussion thread (FERGUDISHU)

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I had that exact conversation with someone on Friday. "The pay is crap and if it goes wrong you either get killed, crippled, or publicly lynched. Who wants that?"
    And now it spreads...praise God and pass the collection plate.

A week after a Salisbury pastor teamed up with the NAACP to express concerns about police mistreatment, WBTV has obtained video that contradicts the pastor's statements.

Reverend Bill Godair of Cornerstone Church held a press conference last week with the head of the Salisbury-Rowan NAACP to say citizens were being mistreated by officers with the Salisbury Police Department, and the Godair himself had been a victim...

Godair says the church is holding training on how to deal with officers if they are pulled over by police, saying "no matter how abusive it is, you take it."

"I refuse to sit back and not do anything, not say anything until Ferguson, Missouri becomes a reality here in Salisbury," Godair said.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Ferguson discussion thread (FERGUDISHU)

That's been reposted Chuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Great commentary... I'll be sharing it. Thanks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Tit for tat.
    The CNN reporter that provided the Police Officer’s Name and Address on national TV can be contacted at: SEE LINK

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Holy poop, I know right where that is. I'm not kidding, I've lost count of how many times I've driven down that street. I used to live about 4 blocks from that dude's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This is an interesting article:

huffingtonpostDOTcom

Discusses the interaction of citizen gun ownership and risk for police - and how it affects interactions.
    Nice try on their part, but, um, Nope. Is it "a" thing to consider? Yes, but always in combination with other factors. Others seem to make a bigger deal out of it than those in the profession.

Glad to see Hearne mentioned the studies on action(s) / behavior(s) vs race in simulated shooting situations.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It circles back to the core problem.

"I have Met the Enemy, and He is Us".

The people who ultimately set policy in principle are elected by a population interested in the best performing candidate.The fact that this remains a fantasy instead of reality today is the foundation for a great many problems now on display in Ferguson MO.
    I am reminded by a quote from Aeschylus, which I had read in the fantastic book "Once an Eagle", by Anton Myrer, which mirrors the sentiment of the poem:

"So in the Libyan fable it is told
    That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
    Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
    'With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
    Are we now smitten.'"

The protesters and the police both made serious mistakes and both behaved badly. I am embarrassed by both sides.
    I also saw both sides behave well at times.

I will support what the jury decides in this case. I am big supporter of jury verdicts because it is still the best process we have to determine guilt.

What I hope comes out of this is:
    - A better understanding by the public of the protocols LEO's use to deal with a threat, and that they must resort to lethal force sooner than most people realize;
    - Minorities learning how to interact with Law Enforcement to reduce the likelihood that force will be used on them, lethal or not;
    - Community intervention for at-risk teens in cooperation with schools and Public Safety Agencies;
    - Changes to the protocols used by Law Enforcement to prevent over-reacting with lethal weapons, armored vehicles, and tear gas BEFORE they are actually needed;
    - Law Enforcement working with protesters early in the process and with community leaders to provide hours and locations for protesting, and how both sides will deal with lawbreakers;
    - Community-Law Enforcement councils that will review these incidents and provide much-needed communication and publicity so that people know what is going on. In other words TRANSPARENCY.
    - Police respecting the 1st Amendment right, especially as it relates to journalists. Those arrests should have never happened. It's one thing for a policeman to arrest a journalist because there is a safety issue. It's quite another for them to harass them and assault them for no reason.
    - Police agencies ensuring that their officers training is up to date and role-playing scenarios are done regularly and the threat protocols followed stringently;
    - Internal remedies to ensure LEO's and their officers are treating minorities with the same level and type of enforcement as they would anyone.
    - Politicians supporting these initiatives through budgets and tax dollars...yes, it takes money to do these things.

Just my take,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    The protesters and the police both made serious mistakes and both behaved badly. I am embarrassed by both sides.
    I also saw both sides behave well at times.

I will support what the jury decides in this case. I am big supporter of jury verdicts because it is still the best process we have to determine guilt.

What I hope comes out of this is:
    - A better understanding by the public of the protocols LEO's use to deal with a threat, and that they must resort to lethal force sooner than most people realize;
    - Minorities learning how to interact with Law Enforcement to reduce the likelihood that force will be used on them, lethal or not;
    - Community intervention for at-risk teens in cooperation with schools and Public Safety Agencies;
    - Changes to the protocols used by Law Enforcement to prevent over-reacting with lethal weapons, armored vehicles, and tear gas BEFORE they are actually needed;
    - Law Enforcement working with protesters early in the process and with community leaders to provide hours and locations for protesting, and how both sides will deal with lawbreakers;
    - Community-Law Enforcement councils that will review these incidents and provide much-needed communication and publicity so that people know what is going on. In other words TRANSPARENCY.
    - Police respecting the 1st Amendment right, especially as it relates to journalists. Those arrests should have never happened. It's one thing for a policeman to arrest a journalist because there is a safety issue. It's quite another for them to harass them and assault them for no reason.
    - Police agencies ensuring that their officers training is up to date and role-playing scenarios are done regularly and the threat protocols followed stringently;
    - Internal remedies to ensure LEO's and their officers are treating minorities with the same level and type of enforcement as they would anyone.
    - Politicians supporting these initiatives through budgets and tax dollars...yes, it takes money to do these things.

Just my take,
    Cody
    - Al and Jesse need to shut up.

- Reform Federal welfare programs that promote and reward single parent households.

- Slavery no longer exists in America (and hasn't for many, many years.) Get over yourselves.

- The single biggest obstacle any of us face is the person in the mirror.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List