Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 4" Redhawk .44

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Where I hang out, concealment isn't an issue. The problems I have with the Safepacker are:

1) whenever my pack comes off, so does the handgun, absent moving the Safepacker. Lots of reasons for the pack to come off quickly, like stalking an animal, going prone on a shot, or even responding to a bear nearby.

I partially solved this problem, for a Glock at least, by wearing a nylon, belt slide holster with a thumb break on my trouser belt. The back pack comes off, the gun comes out of the safe packer, and into the belt slide. The belt slide is flat enough not to interfere with the backpack belt.

It's still a pain though. I think the best solution is a drop holster. I just feel so very commando wearing one...

For a bigger revolver you might also try out a custom leather holster from Simply Rugged. Their Sourdough Pancake holster can be worn OWB, IWB, and with an accessory which allows the same holster to be used as a chest rig. Extremely versatile set up.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...160&parent=672

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...151&parent=669

Not to hijack this thread but since moving to MT I'm curious as to everyones experience with a bear country pistol. I feel pretty squared away on dealing with two legged predators, but going back country with my kids makes me wonder what some of those experienced with four legged threats prefer?

I know a gauge or .45/70 are first choice, but what about when hiking, etc.?

I have a 4" model 29, and feel it can do good double-duty, but what about the .45 or 10mm loads, particularly in Glocks? I ask because I've carried (by policy) a G-lock in .40 for almost 15 years so I'm comfy with the system.

GJM? Anyone else who has bears as a real threat in their area?

Thanks!

I live in grizzly country. I haven't had to deal with any bears in a defensive situation, but have studied as much as I can over time and talked to some that have. For myself, I'm unwilling to give up raw penetration for capacity or a lighter gun. I carry a 4" 29 Smith with the 250 gr Keith loads (22 grs old 2400 w/ Lyman No 429421 bullet) or a 290 gr Keith look alike bullet at 1225 fps in a 6" 29. I also carry a single action Ruger in 45 Colt with 300/325 gr loads at about 1250 fps. I generally shoot the Ruger SA well, better than an auto in plate shoots in any event, and do not feel very handicapped overall. The SA's are more comfortable when shooting heavy loads for me.

I believe GJm has been carrying 10mm Glocks, but has had some trouble with functioning with what should be some of the better penetrating loads.

Quote Originally Posted by maclin View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but since moving to MT I'm curious as to everyones experience with a bear country pistol. I feel pretty squared away on dealing with two legged predators, but going back country with my kids makes me wonder what some of those experienced with four legged threats prefer?

I know a gauge or .45/70 are first choice, but what about when hiking, etc.?

I have a 4" model 29, and feel it can do good double-duty, but what about the .45 or 10mm loads, particularly in Glocks? I ask because I've carried (by policy) a G-lock in .40 for almost 15 years so I'm comfy with the system.

GJM? Anyone else who has bears as a real threat in their area?

Thanks!
    Grizzlies are to be taken seriously. I'll let those who deal with them more often than I do cover that aspect.

For those in most of the lower 48, it's a very different matter. Black bear are pretty common here (northwest California), and I just spooked one last weekend. As always, it took off in the other direction in a very big hurry. They are very much afraid of humans around these parts. I'm aware of hundreds of sightings by friends/colleagues in addition to my own, and in only one of those instances did a black bear get ornery. That one exception was having a bad Monday morning and briefly treed a biologist working for one of the timber companies. Even in Yosemite where they're acclimated to people, we used to chase black bear out of Camp 4 by banging pots and pans loudly. The end result is that on most backcountry hikes in this part of the country, I'm content with a service pistol because I'm far more concerned about semi-feral dogs or human scoundrels than I am with native wildlife.

If I spent much time in certain parts of Montana though, I'd probably prefer a big revolver like the ones discussed above.

Thanks gents! I appreciate the replies.

The obvious appeal of the semi auto is it weighs less, is easier to carry, easier to shoot, and carries more cartridges. In some pistols, like the Glock, the better the load is for penetrating, the more likely it is to cause a stoppage. I would rather carry the semi auto -- right up to the moment a determined bear charges, at which point I would prefer the harder to carry, harder to shoot revolver.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The obvious appeal of the semi auto is it weighs less, is easier to carry, easier to shoot, and carries more cartridges. In some pistols, like the Glock, the better the load is for penetrating, the more likely it is to cause a stoppage. I would rather carry the semi auto -- right up to the moment a determined bear charges, at which point I would prefer the harder to carry, harder to shoot revolver.
    Do you have any idea what that Alaskan used to shoot that bear off of his arm in the Eagle River incident back in July?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Do you have any idea what that Alaskan used to shoot that bear off of his arm in the Eagle River incident back in July?
    three rounds of .44 mag, per the news reports
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

three rounds of .44 mag, per the news reports
    Badaa BOOM. http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/sow-sh...r-man/27137910
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List