Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4" Redhawk .44

4" Redhawk .44

I'm using an earlier comment from GJM about the inadequacy of single actions and bears to justify a new DA .44 mag revolver.

I had an opportunity to fondle a 4" Redhawk this morning and liked everything except the Hogue finger groove grip. I'm 6'3 with long fingers and this is overly big even for me. I'm sure I can find some suitable grips. Just wondering if anyone owns one or has opinions on the short Redhawk.

Thanks

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'm using an earlier comment from GJM about the inadequacy of single actions and bears to justify a new DA .44 mag revolver.

I had an opportunity to fondle a 4" Redhawk this morning and liked everything except the Hogue finger groove grip. I'm 6'3 with long fingers and this is overly big even for me. I'm sure I can find some suitable grips. Just wondering if anyone owns one or has opinions on the short Redhawk.

Thanks

Ken
    They are no longer made and they are platinum priced around here. Like $800 worth. Very much sought after.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    They are no longer made and they are platinum priced around here. Like $800 worth. Very much sought after.
    Ruger's website is listing them as a current production item again, FWIW, but they weren't on there a couple months ago or so. Maybe that'll bring prices down a bit.

Re: the Redhawk as a whole. First 44 I ever shot was a Redhawk when I was like 12 maybe. Quite a hand full for a youngster at the time. It was one of the 5.5 or 6" barreled ones. In my adult life I owned another one. Very tough revolver, and I'd want an action job on one for sure. If I were in the market for a 44 that was gonna see a steady diet of Magnum loads, I'd start by looking at Redhawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Ruger's website is listing them as a current production item again, FWIW, but they weren't on there a couple months ago or so. Maybe that'll bring prices down a bit.

Re: the Redhawk as a whole. First 44 I ever shot was a Redhawk when I was like 12 maybe. Quite a hand full for a youngster at the time. It was one of the 5.5 or 6" barreled ones. In my adult life I owned another one. Very tough revolver, and I'd want an action job on one for sure. If I were in the market for a 44 that was gonna see a steady diet of Magnum loads, I'd start by looking at Redhawks.
    Thank YOU! I did NOT know that. That's very good news.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I foresee a 4" or 5.5" Redhawk in my future in the next few years. FYI they were removed, without an announcement from Ruger's website, which caused a Disturbance in The Force among all the various internet boards devoted to Rugers. Turns out they were shifting production around, sort of a "Tactical Pause" in making Redhawks, and now they are back on the website, and show up in inventory at www.galleryofguns.com and www.impactguns.com.

The 5.5." and 7.5" Redhawks have a front sight that is interchangeable by depressing a plunger and popping the sights in and out. Ruger sells various height front sights, and of course this simplifies changing to after market sights. The 4" used to have a pinned sight, but rumor has it on various Fora that the new ones are going to have the same interchangeable plunger system as the 5.5" and 7.5".

My biggest gripe with the 4" guns is I don't like the way they look. Dumb, I know, but they just look aesthetically unbalanced. I did see some pictures of some 4" guns with wood grips, instead of the big Hogue, and I liked them much better.

For function, as opposed to aesthetics, grind the finger grooves off the Hogue grips. That is what I run on my Bowen four inch Redhawk (Alpine conversion before a four inch factory revolver was available), that I reserve for shooting the heaviest .44 magnum loads.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 4 inch Redhawk would be an excellent choice. While I don't like them for most things, the Pachmaryh grips are pretty good on the 'Hawk.

Another option would be the new Model 69. It's an L- frame so you do give up a round, but it would be a pretty great packing .44.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The 4 inch Redhawk would be an excellent choice. While I don't like them for most things, the Pachmaryh grips are pretty good on the 'Hawk.

Another option would be the new Model 69. It's an L- frame so you do give up a round, but it would be a pretty great packing .44.
    I'll just sit here and wait for all the wails of anger about the internal lock to show up

I had a 4" Redhawk for a while. I ended up selling it. For some reason it just seemed abusive to my hand to shoot. It was the same weight as my 5" 629 Classic but the recoil seemed heavier. I tried the factory Hogue, a regular Hogue, factory wood grips, and maybe a Pachmayr and couldn't find anything that helped.

I recently picked up one of the new-production Redhawks in .45 Colt. Love the gun, hated the Hogue grips. The first thing I did was buy a set of new-old-stock Ruger walnut grips from eBay. Note that you'll also need to buy a "Grip Panel Locator", a little black plastic plug that fits into the grip frame and holds the grips in the right spot. it's a $3 part.

The new guns do indeed have the standard interchangeable front sight, in place of the pinned-in sight on the earlier 4" guns. Mine's quite accurate and was reasonably smooth out of the box. It's at Mag-Na-Port right now for an action job. The factory action wasn't *bad*, but there's certainly room for improvement.

Here's how it looks with the walnut grips.

Also, be aware that Ruger's about to do a special run of round-butt .44s with 2" barrels. They look *mean*!

User Tag List